GPO Errors

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wisdum

Hello again... in my struggle to learn GPOs in these last few months i have ran into a few problems. Here is what is going on:

I have several GPOs setup, one of which sets the ntp server for clients. This is just a test, i haven't actually put it out on the network. I set it all up with GPMC, and i applied the GPO, initially, to a few users. In the past, group policys had to be applied to OUs but i guess GPMC makes it different(?). Anyway, when i log in with my test account and i do a gpresult i can see the GPO but it isn't applying! It says, Filtering: Not Applied (Empty).

I dont know what that means... does that mean that the policy doesn't define anything? I have setup the policy to set the NTP server and to enable it, but it still says empty. What am i doing wrong?

Thanks to all who have helped me in the past.

wis

wisdum

I guess i should have been more specific.

I am trying to setup the clocks on my XP Pro clients to use an NTP server... i thought i found a way with a GPO but it isn't correctly applying to the computers... can anyone help?
thanks

wis

I don't think you can get NTP to be set up in a GPO. An easier method would be to have the server synch with a time server and use a logon script to set the time on the workstation at login.

If the clients are domain members (which they obviously are if you're applying a GPO to them), they will actually automatically synchronize time with the DC. You don't have to do anything. As Rockn said, just sync the DC to an external time source.

wisdum

I have tried this.... and ive heard from multiple people that it automatically syncs time between server and clients. However, it is wrong. The times don't match, haven't for a long time. Did i miss something?

I have found a GPO way to point the clients to the server for their time, and that seems to work.

wis

Is the server set up as an authoritative time server? If not they won't sync by themselves.

wisdum

I figured it out. The PDC defaults as an unreliable time source... and then i just had to setup NTP on the server to point to an outside source (registry switch from W32Time to NTP)

Seems to be working now.

wis

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online