1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

GPO exclusion

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by p0ng0, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. p0ng0

p0ng0 Thread Starter

Hi,

I need a little advice on excluding my computer from the Default Domain policy.
    The DD policy enforces a wallpaper which i'd like to exclude from this system.

I'm not too sure where i should be placing another GPO as yet.

Anybody have any advice? Much appreciated!

Christian

2. avisitor

avisitor

If you put the computer in its own OU, you could block inheritance which would stop GPOs from applying.

3. p0ng0

p0ng0 Thread Starter

Thanks!
    However, i have created an OU and placed the computer in there, yet my desktop will not change, it refuses to. It displays just a blank screen!

Any ideas?

4. srhoades

srhoades

Perhaps the policy is a default domain policy instead of applied to a specific OU.

5. p0ng0

p0ng0 Thread Starter

it is indeed the default domain policy as mentioned in my original post.
    any further ideas?

6. srhoades

srhoades

If it is default domain policy no matter what OU you are in it will take affect, it is global. You will need to delete that specific default domain policy and recreate it for the OU of the users that need it.

7. avisitor

avisitor

I believe that Default Domain Policy will not take effect if the OU has inheritance blocked unless the Enforce flag is set.

You can set/remove the enforce flag by right clicking on Default Domain Policy.

8. ThePrutser

ThePrutser

Are there any user policies active? (which might disable changing the wallpaper)

9. p0ng0

p0ng0 Thread Starter

the wallpaper policy is under the user policies yes...

10. ThePrutser

ThePrutser

And the policy also applies to the user account that you are using to change the desktop wallpaper? Then you will have to exclude the user account from the policy and not necessarily the computer account. (Depending on the policy settings you might need to exlude both the user account and the computer account)

11. axis77

axis77

Default Domain Policy, blanket effect on all the OU's. It will get pushed to your pc regardless. The only way to change this behaviour is to create another policy strictly for desktop user settings like the issue your having, so basically move those settings away from the default policy and put them in this "new policy for user desktops", then you put your self in a seperate OU that will block the inheritance of this new policy for the user desktops...

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915788

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice