Solved GPS Connection Problem

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I presume as you say you have tried all in the link I sent that you have tried opening garmin express as admin = right click run as admin and then with the computer powered on - connect the Garmin USB

deubanks

The PC that the Garmin Express does not work on is a desktop and is four or five years old.
The laptop that it does work on is about 13 months old. Both are Lenova PC's.

There was not a problem on the desktop when I first got the Garmin. I really don't know when it stopped working because I had not tried to update the Garmin for a few months before I restored win 10.

deubanks

I presume as you say you have tried all in the link I sent that you have tried opening garmin express as admin = right click run as admin and then with the computer powered on - connect the Garmin USB
Yes I did all of that.

deubanks

How do I disable SuperAntiSpyware?
I don't know if it uses USB 3.0 or not but I am using the same USB ports that I always used when it was working.

deubanks

One of the two ports on the front as always before. I have tried both of them and the PC recognizes the Garmin in both ports. I can go to the drive in "This PC in file explorer" and can see the files in the drive.

deubanks

I appreciate all of your help.

I finally got the the GPS and Garmin Express to connect and work but it was a long process.
What I finally did was to let the Garmin Express take a long time to open and a very long time to connect to the GPS. It took a couple of hours but finally worked.
It works now but is still slower than on the laptop.

Also this desktop PC took about three times longer to download and install the latest version of Win 10 Version 4004 a couple of days ago.

Is the Windows Repair Tool that is advertised here any help or harmful?

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
One may expect it to take longer for the 2004 update on the dkestop than the laptop, as it is effectively a complete reinstall of windows.
Of course if on the desktop there are far more entries on various drives and in the registry relating to windows it will take longer.
You should not need to run the windows repair all in one if that is the advert you refer to, on what is effectively a clean install of windows
The adverts on this site, do not indicate the sites approval for the software or anything else advertised.

If you wish me to look at why the desktop appears slow send me please the results of the aatched as below please

This program is:-
Used with the kind permission of Brink - Admin of WindowsTenForums
https://www.tenforums.com/members/brink.html
(wehere I also work)

Save log collector V2 log collector 1.07.zip to where (downloads for example) you want.
Right click on V2 log collector 1.07.zip in the Downloads folder and select Extract all. This will create a V2 log collector 1.07 folder.
Open the V2 log collector 1.07 folder and double click on the log-collector shortcut.
A Command Prompt window will open with the Ten Forums Log Collector running in it. Press the Enter key to start the collection process.
Command Prompt window will open. Press enter to close it. Note the Output location as that is where the zip file is located.
Attach that please to your reply using the upload a file button.

Attachments

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Thanks
Will analyse and let you know result

Last edited:

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I am not surprised the computer is slow, in fact I suspect it is like watching grass grow at times
1. SpywareBlaster 5.6.0 BrightFort
UNINSTALL this from settings, app and then on main pane scroll to Spyware Blaster and uninstall
The completely shut down 10 not the usual shutdown which is not a complete shutdown
windows icon left of taskbar

Step 1: Open Start menu, select Power button.

Step 2: Press and hold the Shift key on keyboard, while clicking on Shut down, and then release the Shift key to perform a full shutdown.

2. Same with this - you may uninstall both and then do the complete shutdown
SUPERAntiSpyware 8.0.1052

3. and this
Malwarebytes version 4.1.2.73

4. I know you have said that SAS and Malwarebytes are the free versions, scan on demand, but they do not merely sit there, waiting for you to scan, they actively integrate with the system in many places and I am convinced from what I have seen that they, are resposible for a slow down in overall performance.

5. IF you find that there is no improvment and you so wish you can of course reinstall whatevber you desire, but I would strongly urge you NOT to have all three. IMHO all you need is Windows Security and the periodic scan with Malwarebytes AdwCleaner
It does not actually install any active component and I and many others have found it = with 10 = completely unintrusive.

6. Here is the download
WHEN you have uninstalled the others
https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

on settings on the left pane disable all except cloud based software and set all others to OFF on basic cleaning actions
Set to ON - always ask for confirmation before reboot

7. Here is the user guide
https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/categories/360002468313-Malwarebytes-AdwCleaner

8. DO NOT RUN BASIC REPAIR - when given the option if AdwCleaner does not find anything.
The logs for the cleaner are on C drive and you should NOT delet them, as that will stop you rstoring anything it cleans and quarantines IF it proves to be a false postive and has adversely effected the system.

9. IT as the literature shows you does not actually install anything on the computer except the log files and wil certainly have NO effect upon general performance.

10. Have you been running a software program called termporary file cleaner from Old Timer. If so do not use it on 10. It was excellent in its day.
IT HAS NOT BEEN DEVELOPED for some years and is not suitable for 10.
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files/file/187-tfc-temp-file-cleaner-by-oldtimer/
You did run I now know and you may rememeber that it hung when running
It was 12 August at 0111hrs.

11. TO BE COMPLETED there is far more needs your attention.

Last edited:

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
1. Further to the above
have you actually been using the DVD/CD player/burner
If so the CD/DVD disc is a bad burn
OR the hardware is faulty of not correctly connected
Log Name: System
Source: cdrom
Date: 2020-08-14T14:54:55.8550000Z
Event ID: 7
Task: N/A
Level: Error
Opcode: N/A
Keyword: Classic
User: N/A
User Name: N/A
Computer: Don
Description:
The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block.

Numerous such entries

2. Please see screenshot.

3. Please reply when post 26 recommends completed
comment please on CD bad block
and confirm startup apps - enabled
Untitled1.png

Last edited:

deubanks

I have uninstalled the three items that you listed above and downloaded the adwcleaner.
I have never heard of Old Timer that you mentioned.
I have a disk in the DVD drive but have not been using it.

The items that you listed in task manager that are enabled are 1. Garmin Express, 2. Adobe GC Invoker,
3. Adobe updater Utility, 4. Logitech download assistant.
I did not see the other items that you listed.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
1. Well you defintiely ran Temporary File Cleaner or someone did - on your computer it is listed in the logs
Event[1041]:
Log Name: Application
Source: Application Hang
Date: 2020-08-11T21:11:47.1560000Z
Event ID: 1002
Task: N/A
Level: Error
Opcode: Info
Keyword: Classic
User: N/A
User Name: N/A
Computer: Don
Description:
The program TFC.exe version 3.1.9.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
Process ID: 2c44
Start Time: 01d67044284e287c
Termination Time: 4294967295
Application Path: H:\From Desktop\Cleaning Tools\TFC.exe
Report Id: 9c76191e-4d89-41d1-a0cf-be2434b4a7b1
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Hang type: Top level window is idle

AS YOIU CAN SEE IT RAN FROM THE drive lettered H

2. Re the start items
can you confirm that you are saying windows security does not appear there.
Task Manager startup
check also please settings
apps
startup

3. Take the disc out of the drive please and then we will see if the log still reports a bad block

Last edited:

deubanks

Yes I do see Windows Security in device manager but I did not see it in the list that you posted.
The temporary file cleaner that I ran was the windows disk cleaner.
I also went to the Windows folder on the C drive and emptied the temporary folder, but I don,t know what the Old Timer is. The drive letter H is an external drive but I don,t know how Old Timer ran from it. I am the only user of this PC.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online