1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

GPU and CPU overheating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sk8trboy, Jun 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sk8trboy

Sk8trboy Thread Starter

Ive had this problem with my gpu that my psu was too weak. My monitor would then go off and ill see no signal. So i had some extra (weaker) psus so i connected them together and it works! Ive seen other people doing it aswell. But now my pc is constantly overheating. I have a 330 watt that power my hdd and dvd rom. my other 450 watt is powering my cpu and gpu. But it shuts down constantly due to overheating. Should i add fans (really dont want to cause its alot of trouble) Or what should i do. I really thought this wouldve helped

2. Megabite

Megabite

I would ditch the 2 x PSUs and get one decent one......your PC could be over heating because of resistance from the 2 x PSUs and damaging your components

3. Sk8trboy

Sk8trboy Thread Starter

Yeah this is just temporarily , im gonna buy one in maybe few weeks time but im searching for a temporary fix
    And i think it might be my gpu it gets up to 76 clecuis then cuts out

4. Megabite

Megabite

Have you cleaned the PC out of any dust build up that includes the Heatsink..

and when you say shuts down is it the PSU that is hot or CPU or GPU. as if it shuts down completely then it would be either PSU or CPU.

5. Sk8trboy

Sk8trboy Thread Starter

It doesnt shut down completley its just my monitor that switches off. But i know its an overheating problem and not voltage. Ive fitted a new cpu fan from another case its clean yes my pc is bassically clean. Ive checked on speedfan my 4 cores are green checked but my gpu overheats

6. Sk8trboy

Sk8trboy Thread Starter

Thats what i dont get its clean and getting enough voltage so why does it overheat???

7. Megabite

Megabite

Could be the thermal paste on the video card has dried out....also sounds like it has been overheating for awhile maybe too long.

8. Sk8trboy

Sk8trboy Thread Starter

hope that isnt the case... ill check the termal paste on the card. Thanx!

9. Megabite

Megabite

Changed thermal paste on a GTX 8800 was easy and the card back to normal running after overheating all the time.

Good luck

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1058135

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice