1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

GPU damaged

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by skeps, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeps

skeps Thread Starter

So my friend's PC just had the GPU go crazy on her. When she boots up it's fine, but as soon as you reach the Windows 7 login screen the whole screen goes black, but you can still control the mouse cursor, eventually though the mouse cursor's image will freeze and small black lines will show going through it, eventually the mouse will freeze altogether.

Problem is, when I take out the GPU (Nvidia 9800 GTX+) and swap in my backup card that lies around (ATI HD 4850) the PC won't recognize the card so the monitor says no signal (everything in the tower is running and getting power just fine, no strange lights or beeping noises on start up). The motherboard has no built in GPU, so you need a PCIe GPU to use this setup.

My only thought of what it could be is the Nvidia drivers not having a chance to be removed before putting the ATI card in. Does that sound likely to be the problem? If not, does anyone have some suggestions? Already checked all the other components and hardware in the PC so I'm positive this is a GPU issue. I tried plugging in the DVI cord in to both slots of the ATI card, didn't help. Feel free to ask me anything about her PC, I'm not over her house, but I built it myself so I remember most of the components I put in to it. The ATI card does work too, I put it in my PC and it ran no problem. When put in to her PC it does run and it's fan does work correctly.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029441

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice