1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

GPU Fan Issue, and Graphical Lag

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by YLocke, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YLocke

YLocke Thread Starter

Hello. Lately I've been having a problem with games... I noticed this first when I got portal [but not because of portal -- I hadn't been playing games much before then.] What happens is every 20 seconds or so, I get a 5-second spike of severe graphical lag.

After some thinking about what it could be, both in the hardware world and software world, I tried everything: switching memory modules into different slots, non-dual channel configurations too, made sure everything was secure, tried removing certain things to make sure it wasn't a power issue, tried reinstalling drivers, games, etc. etc.

I still have this problem, and it's the same problem for every game I play.

I noticed something today that could be the answer. I noticed that my GPU fan isn't spinning when it's idle, and that because of this it's generally VERY hot. As in, 100-110 degrees C. idle. It doesn't crash. The fan will ONLY turn on when it gets to 120C, which makes me think it might be a fan activation threshold issue.

So I've tried every program out there to adjust my fan speed. I used to be able to in the old nvidia control panel [which they stupidly replaced with the new, big useless one] but now I can't. I installed the nTune addon for the control panel, but everything to do with GPU fan control is dark and unselectable. Rivatuner doesn't display a fan control tab, though I swear it used to with my current computer configuration.

I'm pretty sure the spike in temperatures is related to the GPU overheating past 120C. Here's what it'd look like:

Idle ---- Game/Heat-up ---- 120C reached/Graphical Lag/Fan Activates ---- Cool down/Graphical lag ends/Fan turns off

Any ideas on how to fix this? :( It's really irritating and makes all games not even worth playing, as they run perfectly smoothly except for those consistent lag intervals.

My current configuration:

Core 2 Duo e6400 @ 2.13 ghz [was overclocked, but I defaulted it when troubleshooting]
    evga 7950gt [256mb version]
    2gb Corsair xms2 ddr2 cas 4

2. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

120C degrees? Sounds like you video card is overheating. I was thinking its a fan issue? Have you try to use the air compressor to clean out the video card dusts? Otherwise you'll need to get a new gpu fan.

3. SB305

SB305

Quick way to test your theory (unless your case has a fancy cooling system): take the side panel off the rig; direct a domestic fan's airflow at the GPU; run the game. (Assuming that the artificial airflow isn't going to do nasty things to the GPU fan motor by spinning it unpowered).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650464

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice