1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

GPU GeForce 8800 GT Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JvLeger, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JvLeger

JvLeger Thread Starter

Hi my name is Jason. I know the GPU I have is old but I'm a disabled military veteran who cant afford a new one. Im looking for some help trying to figure out the issue im having with it. I thought it was an overheating issue which was causing the GPU to overheat and shut off. I checked the temp and it was at 120F and was running fine. All of a sudden ill hear the ding as if I disconnected something then my monitor goes blank. My computer is still running and I hear all the sounds and everything. I've downloaded the latest drivers and installed them. I also turned up the fan speed to see if that would help. I'm stuck and have no clue what to do. Any help would be wonderful. Ty.

2. dai

dai

what are you running
    video card brand and model
    cpu
    m/board
    ram
    power supply
    brand
    model
    wattage

check the listings in the bios for 12v line voltages and temperatures and post them

sounds like it is underpowered or faulty psu

3. JvLeger

JvLeger Thread Starter

MSI 7512 MOBO
    Coolmaster 550W PSU
    GeForce 8800 GT Videocard
    4 Gigs of DDR2 Ram

It sounded like it just turned off now and I unplug my monitor from it and plug it back in and it came back on. I thought it was an overheating issue but I dont think it is cuz I just turned my computer back on.

4. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

Restarting fixes 75% of all problems lol.

Let us know if the problem happens again.

5. JvLeger

JvLeger Thread Starter

I restart my computer after it happens and it never fixes the problem. My monitor still never comes on. I let it sit for awhile and then turn it back on and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. Thats how I figured out its not overheating.

6. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

If you're still hearing sounds after the screen has gone off then the computer is obviously still running. A "ding" noise indicates new hardware detected. A possibility is Windows thinks you've plugged in another screen or something and it's switched the monitor to that non-existent screen. Check your connections to your graphics card and screen, and if your graphics card has a 2nd screen output (which I believe that card does), it might be worth trying to plug the screen in there to see if that helps.

7. JvLeger

JvLeger Thread Starter

Ive tried changing the plugs back and forth to see what happens. I think this 5 yr old GPU is finally going out.

8. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

It's a good excuse to upgrade :) As long as you don't buy another graphics card and the problem continues.....

Do you have onboard graphics or a spare graphics card you can use to plug the screen in and see if the problem continues?

9. JvLeger

JvLeger Thread Starter

10. dai

dai

what model is the psu,it will have to be one of their quality ones to run the card

check your friends they may have upgraded and have a card to spare

11. JvLeger

JvLeger Thread Starter

Its a CoolMaster PSU

12. JvLeger

JvLeger Thread Starter

I dont have many friends out here that game.

13. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

Might be worth buying yourself a very basic cheap graphics card then. You can probably get one for about £3 / $5 used off ebay. Might save you a lot more money than if you go and buy a brand new card and find that the fault wasn't in your original 8800GT (though it probably is).

It's very difficult to diagnose a problem when there's a number of parts that could be faulty but you don't have any spare parts available to test it out.

14. dai

dai

posting it is a coolermaster psu is not of much help you need to post the model

they produce a number of models some ok some not ok

15. JvLeger

JvLeger Thread Starter

Coolmaster RS-550-PCAR-E3

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085729

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice