GPU GeForce 8800 GT Issues

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JvLeger

Hi my name is Jason. I know the GPU I have is old but I'm a disabled military veteran who cant afford a new one. Im looking for some help trying to figure out the issue im having with it. I thought it was an overheating issue which was causing the GPU to overheat and shut off. I checked the temp and it was at 120F and was running fine. All of a sudden ill hear the ding as if I disconnected something then my monitor goes blank. My computer is still running and I hear all the sounds and everything. I've downloaded the latest drivers and installed them. I also turned up the fan speed to see if that would help. I'm stuck and have no clue what to do. Any help would be wonderful. Ty.

dai

what are you running
video card brand and model
cpu
m/board
ram
power supply
brand
model
wattage

check the listings in the bios for 12v line voltages and temperatures and post them

sounds like it is underpowered or faulty psu

JvLeger

MSI 7512 MOBO
Coolmaster 550W PSU
GeForce 8800 GT Videocard
4 Gigs of DDR2 Ram

It sounded like it just turned off now and I unplug my monitor from it and plug it back in and it came back on. I thought it was an overheating issue but I dont think it is cuz I just turned my computer back on.

JvLeger

I restart my computer after it happens and it never fixes the problem. My monitor still never comes on. I let it sit for awhile and then turn it back on and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. Thats how I figured out its not overheating.

If you're still hearing sounds after the screen has gone off then the computer is obviously still running. A "ding" noise indicates new hardware detected. A possibility is Windows thinks you've plugged in another screen or something and it's switched the monitor to that non-existent screen. Check your connections to your graphics card and screen, and if your graphics card has a 2nd screen output (which I believe that card does), it might be worth trying to plug the screen in there to see if that helps.

JvLeger

Ive tried changing the plugs back and forth to see what happens. I think this 5 yr old GPU is finally going out.

It's a good excuse to upgrade :) As long as you don't buy another graphics card and the problem continues.....

Do you have onboard graphics or a spare graphics card you can use to plug the screen in and see if the problem continues?

dai

what model is the psu,it will have to be one of their quality ones to run the card

check your friends they may have upgraded and have a card to spare

JvLeger

what model is the psu,it will have to be one of their quality ones to run the card

check your friends they may have upgraded and have a card to spare

I dont have many friends out here that game.

Might be worth buying yourself a very basic cheap graphics card then. You can probably get one for about £3 / $5 used off ebay. Might save you a lot more money than if you go and buy a brand new card and find that the fault wasn't in your original 8800GT (though it probably is).

It's very difficult to diagnose a problem when there's a number of parts that could be faulty but you don't have any spare parts available to test it out.

dai

posting it is a coolermaster psu is not of much help you need to post the model

they produce a number of models some ok some not ok

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online