1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved GPU (Graphics Card) when to install on a new build?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chrisb8154, Mar 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chrisb8154

Chrisb8154 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Chris
    Hello,

I am starting my first build of a PC.

Should I get the computer up and running with Windows 10 without the graphics card, then install the card later?

Or should I finish building everything first, then start it up for the first time? I think i remember Cary Holzman saying in one of his videos, to get the computer running as basic as possible first.

Thanks for reading

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

That's what I do, start with the bare-bones basic first and get it stable. Now start adding one or two pieces at a time, get it stable, ...etc... until built.

SarahSims likes this.
  3. Chrisb8154

First Name:
    Chris
    OK,(y) that makes sense to me too. Thank you for your reply

4. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

You're welcome. (y)

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It somewhat depends on IF your new build has onchip video. Many processors do however high end ryzen and some intels do not have onchip video. Just because you see a video port on the motherboard does not mean you are going to have video. Just about all ryzen boards have an onboard video port however that is to support the bristol ridge APUs; install a ryzen and no video.

Personally I install the video card however there is nothing wrong with getting it running/stable with onchip video. Up to you.

6. Chrisb8154

First Name:
    Chris
    It's an Intel Core i5 9600K 3.7Ghz on a Gigabyte z390 Aurus Pro Wifi mITX. I think I can run graphics off it first to see it's running OK?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, that processor has onchip video.

8. Chrisb8154

First Name:
    Chris
    thanks. I have another question and a few more later!thanks again

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225091

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice