Gpu makes wierd noise

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Birnzy

when i play games my gpu makes a wierd noise like *krrrrrrrr* and it changes pitches when i look in different direction. Is it fixable and is it bad?

crjdriver

What exact video card do you have installed? Nvidia cards have suffered intermittently from coil whine for a number of years; some cards display this issue and others do not.

Birnzy

What exact video card do you have installed? Nvidia cards have suffered intermittently from coil whine for a number of years; some cards display this issue and others do not.
I have a rx 580 xfx black edition

crjdriver

Are you absolutely the noise is coming from the video card? How did you ascertain the origin of the noise?
As requested above, post a sound clip of the noise.

Birnzy

Are you absolutely sure the noise is coming from the video card? How did you figure the origin of the noise?
As requested above, please post a sound clip of the noise.
yes , I figured out that it came from the card after taking out the card and testing some games without the card. This is my first graphics card as I have been playing on integrated graphics. unfortunately techguy.org does accept any of my audio recording methods. however my pc makes a buzzing noise almost like a fly flapping its wings.

crjdriver

It does sound like a whine to me. If you do not hear this noise when you pull out your video card, it is either coil whine on the card OR possibly on your pw supply. The pw supply has to work harder when you have a pw hungry video card than when using onchip video.
It generally does no harm. As to whether it can be fixed, yes however it can get very expensive replacing the video card and or pw supply. Right now both of those components are in very short supply and the prices have gone up accordingly.

As I recall a while ago, nvidia was even refusing to replace cards with coil whine; said it was normal.
In short, I would not worry about it unless the whine becomes a lot worse.

If you are concerned, you can take the system to a shop and have them listen to the noise. You will get a better diagnosis when someone can hear the system in front of them rather than remotely.

Last edited:
If that is a coil whine.....that's the weirdest whine I've ever heard. The pitch changes and volume of the whine itself goes up and down. Every coil whine I've heard is constant.

I'm inclined to agree with crjdriver with the PSU being the culprit. That is, not distributing power cleanly to the hardware. Or it could be cables from the PSU are bad. I would have never guessed that in a million years but it happened to my bud across the pond. A defective PCIe cable.

As I recall a while ago, nvidia was even refusing to replace cards with coil whine; said it was normal.
That's just ludicrous. What lengths companies will go to, to not stand by their products. Crazy!

Birnzy

It does sound like a whine to me. If you do not hear this noise when you pull out your video card, it is either coil whine on the card OR possibly on your pw supply. The pw supply has to work harder when you have a pw hungry video card than when using onchip video.
It generally does no harm. As to whether it can be fixed, yes however it can get very expensive replacing the video card and or pw supply. Right now both of those components are in very short supply and the prices have gone up accordingly.

In short, I would not worry about it unless the whine becomes a lot worse.

If you are concerned, you can take the system to a shop and have them listen to the noise. You will get a better diagnosis when someone can hear the system in front of them rather than remotely.
If that is a coil whine.....that's the weirdest whine I've ever heard. The pitch changes and volume of the whine itself goes up and down. Every coil whine I've heard is constant.

I'm inclined to agree with crjdriver with the PSU being the culprit. That is, not distributing power cleanly to the hardware. Or it could be cables from the PSU are bad. I would have never guessed that in a million years but it happened to my bud across the pond. A defective PCIe cable.

That's just ludicrous. What lengths companies will go to, to not stand by their products. Crazy!
well In that case Im glad I found out about this annoyance early I’m still within my refund period so I’ll either switch It for a different one or just return it and get my money back.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online