1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

GPU noob compatability question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Camlax38, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Camlax38

Camlax38 Thread Starter

Hey i just ordered a new mobo for amds socket 754, It is a biostar. It has 1 PCI-E 16x slot, 2 PCI-E 1x (1.a), and 4 PCI 32bit bus master slots.

My question is, i wasnt gonna order a PCI-E GPU for another few weeks (waitin on a pay check) and just thought, ohm i can use a older geforce FX 5200 PCI card I had around the house. But I started thinking and wasnt sure if i would be able too if the graphical interfaces are for the PCI-E slots only. Is there a way i could use the FX?

Also 1 more noob question im pretty sure i know the anwser too, There isnt a way to run IDE and ATA devices (hard drives) at the same time is there?

Hes a link to the mobo if you need exact specs Biostar Mobo

2. GripS

GripS

Yes, you can still use your PCI video card.

IDE and ATA are one in the same. Kind of like GPU and VGA. They can be chained on one cable. You can use one as your boot drive and one as additional storage or you can run a dual boot system(different OS on each drive). Also you can buy a raid controller if your board does not already have one and run a raid setup(drives must be identical).

3. Camlax38

Camlax38 Thread Starter

I got the board last night and hooked it all up, The light on the monitor just blinks green like there is no signal output. Would I have to change something in the bios to use a regular PCI card?

4. Camlax38

Camlax38 Thread Starter

Yea it doesnt seem to like the card, The board is nforce4 chip set could that have anything to do with it? also I just noticed in the description the pci-e 16x says gfx interface slot none of the other pci or pci-e 1.0 slots say that. Does that mean the pci-e 16x is the only one i can run a gpu at?

5. RedHelix

RedHelix

When you install a new video card, you usually have to go into the BIOS and set which bus the video output will be coming from. A couple of newer motherboards I've seen have no support for PCI-bus video output for some befuddling reason. (Personally, I've always liked PCI video cards because they're reliably migratable... but not anymore, I guess.)

That may or may not be the case for you - your BIOS might just not be autodetecting it. Definitely check your motherboard manual or contact the manufacturer.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!