1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

GPU Overheating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Beardy, Nov 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beardy

Beardy Thread Starter

So, the past couple of weeks I've been experiencing bluescreens due to my gpu overheating. It gets into the 100's and then crashes, studders an odd sound, and restarts. I've tried to troubleshoot the problem but it says it cannot download a solution because I am not connected to the internet.

The first time it happened I went under the case and cleaned it out with compressed air. It worked fine again for a few days and then went back to crashing. At times it will work for hours, others it will crash after 15 or so minutes of playtime.

-I've tried increasing my fan speed, which also doesn't seem to help (Not even sure if it's working as I don't notice any difference in sound)
    -I've tried dusting
    -My drivers are all up to date

I'm assuming my GPU is fried or close to being completely unusable, just thought I'd come and ask for a second opinion.

Specs:
    Processor: Intel Premium CPU G630 2.70Ghz
    Memory: 6 GB
    GPU: Geforce GT430

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 124
    BCP1: 0000000000000000
    BCP2: FFFFFA800A248028
    BCP3: 00000000BE200000
    BCP4: 000000000005110A
    OS Version: 6_1_7601
    Service Pack: 1_0
    Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\061912-20451-01.dmp
    C:\Users\Cory\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-34335-0.sysdata.xm

My GPU requires a minimum of 300 watts, which is what my power supply wattage is. I don't know the manufacturer or model as I'm currently typing this on the computer in question.

Games I play while experiencing the crash:
    ArmA 2 OA
    Minecraft
    War Z

If any information could be given that would be amazing. Thanks

2. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

According to tests run by Anandtech, it's unlikely that your card exceeds 200 Watts power consumption: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3973/nvidias-geforce-gt-430/17

All the same, that still makes a 300 Watt PSU borderline at best. You can get a more realistic idea of your power requirements here: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp Since blowing out the dust bunnies seems to help for a while, I suspect that the fan on your GPU cooler is going bad, so you might want to look at replacements, NewEgg.com, coolerguy.com etc. sell bunches of them, and there are plenty available around $15 bucks or so. I'm still concerned about that puny PSU.

Edit: It's also worth mentioning that a lot of utilities like SpeedFan, don't give you reliable temperature reports, or accurate control over your fan; so you shouldn't put too much faith in the numbers they report.

3. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

The problem is that I highly doubt your 300w PSU is pushing enough amps on the +12v rail. Older PSU's are made for older spec when the +3 and +5v rails mattered. The GT430 requires 22a on the +12v rail to operate properly. Although I'm not sure if your model of the 430 uses a Pci-e power plug.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1076737

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice