1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

GPU Overheating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by markz_, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. markz_

markz_ Thread Starter

My stock gpu's (nvidia geforce 230) fan broke and I do not want to upgrade it because I plan on building a computer within a year. I bought the vantec iceberq fan as a replacement, however instead of being a simple fix, my gpu now runs at around 78 degrees idle, and 70 with the fan set to max. If I put any game on, temperatures reach about 105 degrees within a couple minutes and the gpu shuts off. Opening the side of my case makes no difference in temperature and I'm at a loss for a cheap solution.

Zero dust anywhere (also, its a brand new fan), fan spins properly and at a good speed, cleaned and reapplied the thermal paste included in the kit and the fan sits directly on top of the gpu chip (metal part seen in picture is removed, gpu chip is under the horizontal lines).

Any help would greatly be appreciated! Thank you.

2. dai

dai

what psu is in it

make
    model
    wattage

3. markz_

markz_ Thread Starter

Hipro 350w
    HP-D3537F3R
    Stock psu that came with my pc

4. dai

dai

they are low quality,if the output is dropping it would cause a rise in temperatures

see if you can borrow a 450w to try i it

5. markz_

markz_ Thread Starter

Popped in a 550w, no change

6. dai

dai

did you put to much paste on

to much is as bad as none at all as it blocks the heat transfer to the heatsink

7. markz_

markz_ Thread Starter

Pea sized amount spread thin and evenly with a plastic card

8. dai

dai

if you have the right amount it should be translucent

i have never had to put any on a video chip,but i would have thought it would be a lot smaller than a cpu and a amount the size of a small grain of rice would have been enough

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085263

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice