1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

GPU overheats even at maximum fan speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by arti23, Jul 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arti23

arti23 Thread Starter

So, here's my problem. I've been browsing just as I always have, and nothing has changed in my setup whatsoever. However, just yesterday I was watching videos and suddenly my graphics card spiked to 85 degrees Celsius. I've had issues with random spikes in the past, but never this severe; since this moment the spikes have been constant and I cannot cool it below 42 degrees Celsius. 42 is quite low, I know, but I tend to use this computer to play graphics-intensive video games and I have to monitor my temperature with GPU Tweak for the entirety of every gaming session I have. Now, I am unable to even play them because it goes up too quickly and crashes my computer. I want to know if it's just heat that's a problem, or if there's something else, and how I can fix this issue. I don't want to risk buying a new GPU until I know that it's the sole culprit. I have three fans in the case and one ordinary house fan that I set up next to it to help cool it down. This setup has been workable for so long, why is it not working now? Do I need more fans or newer fans? I already cleaned the whole thing out so I don't think dust is an issue.

Additional information:
    • I recently did a system restore because this had not happened until a recent Windows update.
    • I have three case fans, one ordinary house fan blowing into it from the outside.
    • NVIDIA GTX 570 with fully updated drivers.
    • Usually capable of running most modern games at medium quality, 85% fan speed at 60 degrees Celsius.
    • Now keeps at about 50 degrees Celsius in normal browsing with fan speed at max, even with minimal GPU usage. Spikes sporadically to 70-90.
    http://pastebin.com/akwU4Pzi

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

We really need a lot more information about your system to make an informed response. Not sure what your link is and I can't open it on my work PC anyway.

Please provide the following:

- Exact make and model of the machine if it is a 'big brand' name like a HP, Dell etc?
    - If it is a self / custom build, what is the make and model of the motherboard, CPU, RAM, HDD, Power Supply etc. The more info the better?
    - What version of Windows are you using? Is it fully patched and up to date?
    - Where are the fans located in the system and is each one blow into or out of the case?

3. Crazy10

Crazy10

From the pastebin site:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!