1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

GPU power requirement - Please Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by andrew151, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrew151

andrew151 Thread Starter

Hi everybody,

For the last several days, I've been doing a lot of research about whether my power supply can support my graphics card, but I can't seem to find a definate answer. What I have is a 450 watt power supply; it has one single 12v rail that provides 24 amps. My graphics card is a ATI Radeon X1950 Pro PCI-E. It requires a 450 watt power supply and recommends 30 amps on the 12v rail.

When I asked whether my PSU can support my graphics card on other forums, some people tell me it can, but others tell me it can't, so I'm really confused right now. I had my X1950 hooked up and running for 3 days without having any problem, but I took it out today, just to be safe until I can get a definate answer. Although I do notice that my power supply runs cooler without the X1950 hooked up.

But on other forums, I even heard people run this card on a 18 amp 12v rail without any problem and they even have it running on a fully loaded system with 2x HDD, 2x DVD Drive, cooling system, fans and lights. And many people say that 22 amps should be the minimum to this card and 24 amps should be fine. However, there are also people who say that you should follow the manufacturers recommendation and get a minimum 30 amps power supply.

To give you a better idea of my system, here are the specs.
    Pentium 4 HT 524 Prescott 3.06 GHZ (84 watt)
    Motherboard: ATI RC410 ULI M1573
    2 stick of DDR2 Ram 1x 1GB and 1x 512MB
    1x Samsung Writemaster DVD RW
    1x SATA 250GB Western Digital HDD 7200 RPM
    1x PCI Modem

And also
    Diablotek PHD series 450 - 450 Watt power supply
    ATI Radeon X1950 Pro PCI-E

And Yes, I know my system is getting old and I should get it replaced soon. But for now, I dont have the cash and this thing will have to do for now.

Andy help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. ZP-Apps

ZP-Apps

You could try this:
    1. Find a low watt power supply, with a 24 amp rail.
    2. Use the PSU as an external power source to power the GPU.

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I would go with something along these lines http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004 Using a low quality PSU is asking for trouble up to burning out your motherboard if the PSU happens to blow (which can happen more easily with low quality unit) Corsair is a good manufacturer. The PSU I linked to provides 41Amps on the 12Vdc rail which should provide you with plenty of power for your entire system.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/939249

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice