1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

GPU running much hotter after reformatting?

Discussion in 'Games' started by lxts237, Sep 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lxts237

lxts237 Thread Starter

I recently had to reformat due to what I think was corrupt Windows files causing my laptop to lag or freeze. My problem is that ever since, my GPU seems to be less efficient at running games, notably Skyrim. Before the reformat, it would hover around 70-80c in-game, but now hovers around 95-105c.

As far as I can tell, all my computer settings are the same. My driver for my graphics card is up to date when I update it through the Device Manager. My game settings for Skyrim is actually lower than before as the graphics seem less impressive than I can remember from a couple days ago. My graphics card settings from what I know, is set to lower or better performance than before the reformat. I did not replace my thermal paste after reformatting and did not clean the fan until today, to which did not help. I wouldn't understand why I would need to replace my thermal paste though given it was working just fine for my card a day prior. I have also downloaded the most up-to-date requirements for Skyrim and a few others for Windows in general like DirectX 11, Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 and 2015 Redistributable, and NET Framework 4.7. I have also done a malware and virus scan using MalwareBytes and Avira Free scanner.

Thanks for any responses in advance.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 6025 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, -1275 Mb
    --Dedicated Graphics Card: Nvidia NVS 4200M
    Hard Drives: C: 283 GB (128 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 032T9K
    Antivirus: Avira Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    It could be a driver issue. You say you have the most current drivers now. You might have had an older driver package before which works better with the older chipset you have.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You appear to have a Dell Latitude E6420 laptop.
    What's the exact service tag number and express service code number on yours?

Its NVIDIA NVS 4200M graphic device is a GDDR3 model and has 512 MB of dedicated video memory.
    The old driver for that graphic device at that laptop's support site is listed HERE.
    The current driver for that graphic device at the NVIDIA downloads site is listed HERE.

---------------------------------------------------------------

metallica5456 likes this.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1196147

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice