1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

GPU Voltage

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sevendaydemon, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sevendaydemon

sevendaydemon Thread Starter

Evening all, I just have a minor dilemma with the Sapphire Trixx software I have, or possibly even something else entirely. FYI, I've been using Crysis 2 as my main benchmark alongside 3DMark and Heaven DX11 since that game is quite power hungry with DX11 enabled.

Basically though, I have an HIS Radeon HD 7950 in my new system and for some reason the voltage being pumped into it seems to change by itself. I believe the stock voltage for this card is 1,087 under load, since hitting the reset button in Sapphire trixx always puts it back to this figure, and since anything lower causes Crysis 2 to crash within minutes on stock clocks when running it with DX11 & settings at full pace.

For some reason though even when I load a stock or overclock profile, apply and save it in Trixx, sometimes when I reboot my system the clocks stay the same but the voltage has randomly decreased to low 900's, which just isn't enough juice to power the card even at stock clocks.

I've been able to play Crysis 2 at the highest settings I can muster (1920 x 1200, DX11, High res and everything Ultra) on stock clocks with 1,087 voltage for several hours with no issues at all, and the same with my current overclock and voltage at 1,125.

It's worth me noting however, that this voltage decrease happens even when I leave the voltage at Trixx's "reset" value of 1,087 before shutting down for the night. I have disabled Catalyst Control Center since that caused all sorts of weirdness when running parallel to Trixx and perhaps even more strange, this random voltage decrease happened before I even installed Trixx, and it was only after searching online and monitoring the conditions that I figured out the voltage was the issue for the crashing I experienced in Crysis 2 and Heaven. Also, I experience the same issue with both the latest stable drivers from AMD and the beta ones I'm running now.

Anyhow, does anyone know anything about this kind of problem? I've attached a dxdiag if anyone needs it and any help at all is appreciated.

Cheers all.

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084344

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice