1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

GPU won't use full power/voltage

Discussion in 'Games' started by XGamingMan, Apr 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XGamingMan

XGamingMan Thread Starter

GPU: GTX 980
    CPU: I7 3440k
    Motherboard: GIGABYTE (don't remember the excact model)
    RAM: Kingston 8GB DDR3 (Single)
    PSU: 650W PSU (53Dollars)
    Windows 10 Pro retail clean install (I literally installed it)
    GPU Driver: 419.xx clean install

Description of Problem: I haven't played games for a while. yesterday I purchased AC Odyssey and opened it in excitement except the game is at 8FPS. short story I tried all the games and they are stuck on extremly low FPS. the problem is the power is at minimum power and won't exceed 20percent. and if i open PrecisionX it shows gpu clock 358, and memory clock 12xx at all times during the games
    and gpu-z shows perfcap reason pwr whenever I open any game (even in the main menu)

Troubleshooting: I've tried almost everything

-installing different Geforce drivers from 395.xx to 419.xx (using DDU)
    -tampering with the control panel power settings set to max PERF
    -overclocking
    -changing the power limit in MSI after burner
    -clean install of the windows (I even downgraded to another version of Windows)
    -DDU
    -Nor the GPU or the PSU (because it's working fine during summer course in college) are defective
    -Temp is at its lowest at about 26C while playing with this very low FPS
    -updated the BIOS of the motherboard

EDIT: OMG PrecisionX was showing the GPU working at full POWER (1038mV) at desktop, AS SOON AS I opened Batman AK it decreased to 830mV AGAIN. I am literally crying

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225415

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice