1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Grabit and usenetserver.com port 119 problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by mobius, May 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mobius

mobius Thread Starter

Hi guys

I have been happily using usenetserver and grabit for a while now with no problem. Unfortunatly I have just had to rebiuld my busted hard drive so I am in the process of re installing all of my apps. Re installed grabit, added the server address 'usenetserver.com' and my acc name and password and all i keep getting is a download error saying 'Unable to connect to usenetserver.com.:119'. This is most annoying, can any kind person shed any light on this problem?

Thanks

Toby

2. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

I notice you have a period after 'com'. If that is the same in your browser it will fail to connect. I had no trouble when I tried the server without the period.

3. mobius

mobius Thread Starter

No period in the browser. Still no joy

4. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

This is the message I get when I put in the URL as you have written it, that is : Http://www.usenetserver.com:119

This address is restricted
    This address uses a network port which is normally used for purposes other than Web browsing. Firefox has canceled the request for your protection.

If I drop the port number, I get to the homepage, as one would expect.

So why are you specifying 119?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/470684