1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gradual Decrease in Broadband Speed

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by The HighWayMan, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The HighWayMan

The HighWayMan Thread Starter

This problems been annoying me now for a while and I've been unable to fix it. I hope someone hear can help.

We've recently had a new telephone line and signed up to Demon 8mb business package. We were told at the time that we could only receive 5.5mb on the line, fair enough.

Now for the problem.

Since the installation we've been receiving a gradual daily decrease in the broadband speed. Every day we come to work and the speed is upward of 6mb. By lunch time this has dropped to 3mb and by late afternoon can be as low as 800kb. The following morning, back up to 6mb.

Resetting/rebooting/disconnecting the modem/router (combined unit) has no effect on the speed.
    I've contacted Demon during the late afternoon, they've tested the line and said it is running at over 8mb and there is nothing wrong with it.
    The employees have very strict guidlines in place and I know for a fact that they are very light internet users. No streaming of any sort, no d/l files etc.

This is not an intermittent fault but a reoccurring problem which leads me to believe that there is not a problem with the telephone line but a problem with the server configuration.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

The server is
    Windows 2000 Server (fully updated)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649302

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice