1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphic and sound stuttering

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Roman5, Jul 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roman5

Roman5 Thread Starter

Recently, graphics have been stuttering. Sound stutters too, but I'm pretty sure the sound only stutters, clicks, pops and slurs when the graphics are lagging. I cannot pinpoint the source of the problem.
    I put thermal paste on my cpu today and brought my temperatures down from 77C to 57C.
    Still same problem so doesn't appear to be from overheating.
    These problems are across the board from mp3s to video to gaming. Also, it happens on all media players. Sometimes if I load a webpage while music is playing, it'll slowdown the music and make it stutter.

This problem happens even with no other background things running. Directx tests, everything stutters to different extents. Even the small white box in the directdraw test isn't smooth and goes slow, fast, slow fast. In between direct x tests, parts of my taskbar temporarily vanish and then come back, suggesting a lot of cpu power or memory is being used. Is there a good program to test if my installed ram has become faulty?
    My system is XP2000+, 768ram, and 9800pro 128mb.

I also noticed that cpu usage goes straight from single digits to 100% when dxdiag starts, and it goes to 100% when quake 3 starts.

2. doublejz

doublejz

i would think its the 768 ram holding you back.

I would try running memtest once and see what it tells ya.

Also, look in either the registery or msconfig and see if theres anything starting that you don't recognize.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!