1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphic Card Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NineXNine, Jan 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NineXNine

NineXNine Thread Starter

So I have an Acer X3200 and there is room for a low-profile graphic card. I want a dedicated graphic card not to play games, but mainly for HD movie watching (Blu-Ray). I know the integrated card can handle it fine but I'd rather take the stress off of that and let a video card do it.

However the problem is that the PSU in this computer is only 220W and I haven't been able to find one which could fit that is higher wattage.

I'll post stuff about my PC to see if it can help you all help me :)

Phenom X3 2.1 GHz
    PCI-E 16X 2.0 slot
    4 GB Ram (2x2 GB @ 800 MHz)
    320 GB SATA HDD
    220W PSU

The only thing that is keeping me from buying a card is that the PSU is so small and I can't find a replacement. So if you know where I could get a better PSU for an Acer X3200-U3600A that would be just as helpful :)

2. BG-0

BG-0

Check out if this would fit: http://www.seasonic.com/product/pc_tfx.jsp It's 56$ plus shipping, but that's what you got to deal with when upgrading those weirdo PCs. After adding that, I could consider adding a graphics card.
    And then the card itself: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121259 You can try adding that without the PSU upgrade but... I don't recommend it. I also wouldn't recommend getting so non-standard PCs in the first place either, though, so go ahead if you want to.

3. NineXNine

NineXNine Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, I can't quite tell if that PSU would fit. It is very close to the dimensions of the one I have. However the plug would need to be rotated 90 degrees in order fit, are there any other places to find PSUs with those dimensions? That card is great since it has the HDMI output.

4. BG-0

BG-0

I don't know. Those dimensions are totally non-standard, so I was actually suprised to find a good quality unit that even resembles those features.
    Which plug? The socket for the power cord? Is it, like, on the left (from front) side of the case?

5. NineXNine

NineXNine Thread Starter

6. BG-0

BG-0

*Sigh*. Then you will rotate the cord 90 degrees. Did you really think that was an issue? Really?

7. NineXNine

NineXNine Thread Starter

It's not a matter of rotating the cord because the socket won't fit in the back case, unless I start modifying the case, which I could do.
    Thanks for your help.

8. BG-0

BG-0

Ah, okay. I haven't seen a pic of the rear of the case so I just couldn't figure that one out.
    BTW: you might have some luck googling with terms TFX power supply. But the Seasonic, as far as I found anything on the net, is the best PSU of that form factor.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/794818

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice