1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphic card problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cheesee, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cheesee

Cheesee Thread Starter

Hello, i just bought this computer off the internet and when it arrived it had some weird graphic card issues when playing games or watching movies in a higher quality then 240 ip. i will attach some links to show some pic's while im playing a game so you understand what i mean. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/3/wowscrnshot100211111425.jpg/ In the start this started happening that suddenly the floor would turn green or some weird colour ( like shown in the pic) but this would go away by simply restarting or alt-tabbing the game. Later it just got worse and worse and now it's pretty much unplayable because it looks like the floor crashed with something like shown on this pic http://imageshack.us/f/88/wowscrnshot111611165637.jpg/. Here is my system info:
    OPERATING SYSTEM:
    Windows 2.6.1.7600
    CPU TYPE:
    Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz
    CPU SPEED:
    2.85 GHz
    SYSTEM MEMORY:
    6 GB
    VIDEO CARD MODEL:
    ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
    VIDEO CARD MEMORY:
    3.74 GB
    VIDEO CARD DRIVER:
    aticfx32.dll
    DESKTOP RESOLUTION:
    1280x1024

Any help whatsoever would be highly appreciated as i dont want to buy a new graphic card unless i know for a fact that my current one is indeed defect.

2. Cheesee

Cheesee Thread Starter

If anyone have seen something like this before please let me know, for all i know maybe i forgot to install something seing as i had to install all the drivers and im not that good with computers : /

3. adam3088

adam3088

Sorry to say that looks like your graphics card's fried, looks like it's ram's gone bad.

If you brought it as a new system, time to send it back. If it's pre-owned then you've got a fight ahead of you.

4. Cheesee

Cheesee Thread Starter

Yes i bought it pre-owned which probably was a stupid purchase, can i not just replace the graphic card or do i need to replace something else aswell? The computer is just fine except when playing games or watching movies so this makes me think its only a graphic card problem, am i wrong? thanks for the help in advance

5. Cheesee

Cheesee Thread Starter

Also if anyone know's about any decent graphic card's out there please let me know

6. adam3088

adam3088

It looks like the problem is purely down to the graphics card, before buying anything though try removing and then re-installing your cards drivers, from the screenshots I'd say that card's fried but it's always a good idea to make sure there's not a simpler answer.
    Also have you tried checking the cards temperatures under load? Various utilities can help you with this.

Can you post the make + model of your power supply? That's going to be important when upgrading.

A solid choice at the moment is the GTX560ti, but it really depends on how much you want to spend.

7. Cheesee

Cheesee Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the replyes Adam, i have tryed removing and re-installing the driver but without succes, but yesterday i bought the GTX560 yesterday and everything works like a charm now, costed me about 150 euro and im extremely satisfied. Again thank you so much for pinpointing to where the problem was :)

8. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

Looks like the problem was your GPU and you have sorted it, which is good. However, a couple of suggestions:

1) Update Windows fully, according to the specs you have posted you don't have Windows 7 SP1 installed which was released about 10 months ago so you are likely missing numberous critical, security and general updates and bug fixes.

2) Check the make, model and wattage of the PSU and check your temps. The original GPU may have become damaged due to an unstable PSU output or heat related issue, if you have problems here and you don't fix them you may end up fragging your new card aswell.

Download and install HWMonitor, run the program and check your temps and voltages with the system idle on the desktop. Then with HWMonitor still running start up a game and run it for 5-10 minutes. Then close the game and check the info in HWMonitor again. If you are unsure what you are looking at or want someone to check it then the easiest way is to screenshot it at idle, then again after running the game. Then upload and link the two screenshots in a reply here.

9. wilson44512

wilson44512

I would have tried resetting the card. to see if it might have came loose during delivery.

10. adam3088

adam3088

Glad the problem's solved! Enjoy your 560.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028596

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice