1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphic card problem

Discussion in 'Games' started by CheetosHunter, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CheetosHunter

CheetosHunter Thread Starter

Hi, I am having some issue with the laptop i just bought
    Its a samsung series 7 chronos
    I saw that my graphic card was Nvidia geforce gt640
    But when i go to dxdiag it says INTEL GRAPHIC HD 4000
    I've done the update for the nvidia graphic card but still nothing
    I wanted to play slender man : the haunt but it was lagging and I didnt understand why, but now i think its because it was running on the INTel graphic HD 4000...
    Is there a way that i can switch between those 2 graphic card?

2. bushpilot223

bushpilot223

CheetosHunter,

Your laptop most likely switches between the GPU's. The Intel HD 4000 is used most of the time, but when you play a game or something that takes a lot of video processing power, the NVIDIA GPU will be used. I believe you can force this as well, in case the auto-switch isn't working. Right click on the Shortcut or the .exe of your game, go to Choose graphics processor (or something along those lines) and then select your NVIDIA GPU. My Dell XPS 15 L502X is like that--but the auto switch works just fine for me.

If it still isn't working..go to NVIDIA's website and go to their drivers page. Find your GPU in the driver section and download the latest drivers. Make sure that you do a "Clean Install" (check the little box, and do a CUSTOM install) that way any previous drivers will be removed.

Bush

3. bushpilot223

bushpilot223

Also, it makes sense that it isn't showing up in dxdiag...when I run dxdiag on my Dell it only shows the Intel HD 3000. But, if you go to Control Panel > Device Manager it should still show up under Display Adapters.

4. bushpilot223

bushpilot223

Oh also make sure your laptop is plugged in. If it's running off of battery power it will automatically use the Intel graphics.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085802

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice