1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

graphic card upgrade

Discussion in 'Games' started by gsen, Mar 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gsen

gsen Thread Starter

hi,
    im using a 6 year old hp p6140 in
    it comes with a core2 duo e 7400 2.8ghz processor ,3gb ddr2 ram, a ms 7525 bostonL motherboard a 7200 rpm hdd(all of this dosent consume much power right?) and a 250 w psu
    now i want to upgrade my gpu to a gtx series and ive narrowed down on the gtx650 as it is a great card and consumes less power(64 w right?)...im aware that bottleneck issues might be there but i only want to play the latest games at decent fps...so i want to ask whether my psu will be able to sustain the gtx 650?...i'd prefer not upgrading anything else guys...

thanks people....

2. Goodfeller

Goodfeller

What brand is the psu ?

3. gsen

gsen Thread Starter

its a bestec atx 250 12z...thats what it says....

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

On that PSU the max amps on the 12v rail is reported at 14amps
    The card draws a max of 64 watts that is 5.3 amps
    details of the psu are here
    http://www.circotech.com/bestec-atx...wer-supply-250w-hp-part-number-5188-2622.html

The gtx650
    http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-650/specifications

has these specs
    Standard Graphics Card Dimensions:
    4.38 inches Height

5.70 inchesLength

Dual-widthWidth

Thermal and Power Specs:
    98 CMaximum GPU Tempurature (in C)

64 WMaximum Graphics Card Power (W)

400 WMinimum System Power Requirement (W)5

One 6-pinSupplementary Power Connectors

At maximum the card draws just over 5 amps. Amps is watts divided by volts
    As you can see the minimum PSU is recommended at 400 watts

ALSO please note that a 6 pin power connections is required. Your psu does not it appears have one so you will need a molex to 6 pin adapter.

Check the dimensions will fit your case and you will run right on the limit on that PSU as your processor also draws a max of 65 watts
    core2 duo e 7400 2.8ghz
    http://ark.intel.com/products/36500/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-E7400-3M-Cache-2_80-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB

5. gsen

gsen Thread Starter

thank you so much for the detailed assessment macboatmaster...see id already visited the nvidia site ...there it said that a geforce 210 requires a 300w psu...but ive been running that for 3 years now on my 250w psu without any problems crashes or anything whatsoever....even on flipkart they mention separately if the gpu requires a specific power input--for eg the gtx 750 shows a must requirement of 400w...but the gtx 650 dosent show any separate requirement...so since youre the expert i want your verdict....can i run the gpu on 250w without damaging my hardware?

another thing...whats with the single slot(geforce 210) and dual width(gtx 650) thing?if the 210 fits a gtx 650 will also fit yeah?
    also about the six pin thing...(i might sound like an amateur please forgive me)...flipkart ships the zotac gtx 650 with a dual molex 6 pin adapter...so that must imply that it can run on a psu without one right...like mine?

thank you so much for your help so far and the help you're willing to provide....

6. Macboatmaster

Yes as I said

which is what you mention on post 5
    Re this
    As I said it is on the limit - can you run it without damaging hardware
    Depending on the PSU - the answer is likely yes - except the PSU
    If you overload the PSU output, it may well fail.
    Whether that failure results in only the PSU depends on the quality of protection in the PSU. Perverse as it seems , it is possible for a PSU to fail and in doing so, provide over voltage to components.

Dual width means it takes up two slots see the images
    http://www.zotac.com/products/graph...ime/order/DESC/amount/10/section/gallery.html

7. gsen

gsen Thread Starter

thanks for giving me a hang of this...i know these decisions are based on a lot of variables so saying a yes or no without vacillation is nigh impossible....so thank you for your verdict...ill go for the gtx 650...hopefully it will get along with my hardware....

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    There is no "HP p6140" model desktop.

Are you sure you don't actually have a HP p6140f or a different model?

What's the part/product number(P/N) on yours?

-------------------------------------------------------

9. gsen

gsen Thread Starter

frank,
    at the outset id like you to check this out---http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01815020(just to tell you im not delusional:))

and then the product number is ky645aa#acj and there's a something titled 's/n' which is ina933008f

please do get back...id like to get some advice...on the said matter

10. Macboatmaster

I agree
    http://support.hp.com/us-en/product...ies/3942799/model/3945249/document/c01815020/
    Figure : The MS-7525 (BostonL) motherboard [​IMG]

Figure : Motherboard top view

You will have to check if it will take a dual width graphics card. It is difficult to determine from the image above. check the clearance on those components - capacitors I think - immediately below the black PCIe slot
    1 PCI Express x16 slot for graphics card

AND of course the PCI slot below that cannot be occupied

IMHO you may encounter problems, even if the graphic card fits, with overheat of those capacitors

11. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    According to product number KY645AA#ACJ, you actually have a HP Pavilion p6140in desktop.

According to its product specifications section, it came with this hardware:

MSI MS-7525 (BostonL-GL6) motherboard (has PCI Express x16 slot for graphics card)

Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.80 GHz processor

3 GB DDR2 PC2-6400(DDR2-800) RAM (maximum supported amount is 4 GB)

250 watt power supply

If your intent is to make a gaming desktop out of it, you're wasting your time and money.

----------------------------------------------------------

12. gsen

gsen Thread Starter

frank,
    you've just overshot by several notches....i never said i wanted to build a gaming desktop...that's a ludicrous proposition to even think of much less act on...i just said i wanted a graphic card update and wanted to ask you whether my existing hardware is gonna support it...so as a trusted advisor if you can answer to that then id be much obliged...if not then...well then you've made your point...
    thank you

13. Macboatmaster

gsen

I have provided you with a wealth of information in an attempt to offer you the best advice.
    I cannot in all honesty see what it is that you are now wanting to know
    As I have said - the PSU is not ideal for the card and the card being dual width and even with a fan it is likely to create temps, that MAY prove too high for those capacitors I have mentioned in my post.

My good colleague flavallee has pointed out that you cannot expect to run the latest games on that computer.
    The graphics processing unit, receives its info from the CPU and that and the motherboard chipset will be unable to supply the data to the card at anything like the speed required for success in playing the latest games.

If there is anything else that you feel I can assist with - you only have to ask.

14. gsen

gsen Thread Starter

macboatmaster,
    that is,in all honesty,what i wanted to know and you have been extremely helpful ...post no 12 was directed towards flavalle not you...i think i mentioned 'frank' atop the post (and id like to add that ac3,bf3,grid2 and a host of other games have run comfortably-24 fps+-on my pc...even bf4 at low settings...but thats beside the point)....in case I wasnt clear...thank you for your advice and i really appreciate it...believe me i do...ill check those clearance levels and get back to you

thank you,once again for your help

15. gsen

gsen Thread Starter

macboatmaster,

ive assumed that by capacitors you meant the rounded black things with silver heads and i didn't exactly understand the clearance part...Ive listed here the distance of various components from one another but if you meant the the height or anything of the capacitors you can tell me and ill check again
    pci slot to capacitor-0.7cm
    capacitor to capacitor(the two to the right immediately below the slot)-1cm
    capacitor to capacitor(near one in the right end to the one towards the left end right below the pci slot)-8cm
    pci to black rectangular chip-1.2cm(the chip with markings to the right and just below the marking n1996)
    and pci to back slot is around 4.4 cm
    i would love to analyse anything else you'd like me to check or look up....

thank you

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145438

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice