1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

graphic card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by imiy, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. imiy

imiy Thread Starter

hi
    can someone advise me ive just installed my new graphic card ati x1950 pro agp card.when just installed the new driver and then reboot, before my pc can log onto my account i get a blue screen informing me (the device driver got stuck in an infinate loop )
    and at the bottom left hand corner of the screen it says ATI DVAG.

my pc is pentium 4 2.40
    1 gb ram
    1 harddrive 80 gb
    1 floopy
    1 cd
    power supply is 450watts

2. Compiler

Compiler

Did you plug in the power connector to the video card?

450watts is generic... what kind of "450 watts"? A generic low-end PSU may only handle about 250watts in the real world.

Your mobo may not be compatible... or the video card is defective.

3. imiy

imiy Thread Starter

hi,
    X-POWER 450W PSU
    ATX-450TD
    regarding cable yes it is attached.
    when you say MOBO do you mean motherboard.
    anyhow im going to try to install driver from the official website an d see what happens.
    regards imiy

4. imiy

imiy Thread Starter

hi,
    no joy now the monitor goes off and the pc crashes just before my windows account.
    by the way i do have an old monitor but that shouldnt matter?
    any feedback will be appreciated.
    cheers

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

You need to try to boot as if to safe mode where you tap F8 continuously after pressing power button and when you come to the choices choose "enable Vga driver" or "safe video driver" and then reboot. Then uninstall old driver and install new one.

6. imiy

imiy Thread Starter

hi
    ive already installed and uninstalled twice and the second time my pc was just crashing just before i was loging on to my windows account.
    cheers

7. Anti-Bosz

Anti-Bosz

hey maybe you still have the drivers for the old video card. Try uninstalling those in safe mode. Maybe the 2 drivers are interfering with one another causing it to do weird things...

8. Compiler

Compiler

Sorry Imiy.... but this happens a lot. You have a no-name brand PSU that is as bad or worse than some well known junk PSU. This is what you have: http://www.outletpc.com/c0861.html Its a powmax, very generic and these things blow up computers... it goes for about $15. An good low-end 400watt PSU starts at $35~40... very good 450~550watt PSUs are $70~115.

DO NOT TRY to power up your system with your new video card until you get a good PSU. Or you go back to the previous video card. While the x1950 is a bit of an old card - it does have high power requirements. You need a PSU with about 30amps or better.

This is the cheapest thing I would recommend: It's $45 and 500watts... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171018 The 12 volt rails are at 32 amps combined (16 x2) vs just 15amps total on your "450 watt" PSU...

If you go to a local store (we don't know where you are) stick to: Coolermaster, Antec and Thermaltake PSU for something affordable.

9. imiy

imiy Thread Starter

hi
    thanks for all the help, il try to get more affective psu and see what happens.
    let you now soon.
    by the way im in sunny old london. england.
    bye for now

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752534

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice