Solved Graphic Cards or PC Issues

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

charityworker

HELLO, I AM LOOKING FOR ANSWERS ABOUT SOME ODD BEHAVIOR FROM MY DESKTOP WHICH IS A DELL OPTIPLEX GX620 RUNNING WINDOWS XP AND IS USED AS A MEDIA AND GAMING RIG, AND OTHER COMPUTING TASK, THE CONFIGURATION OF THIS SYSTEM IS 4GB OF RAM, TWO WESTERN DIGITAL HDDS OF 1TB EACH, CREATIVE SOUND PCI CARD, WIN TV HAUPPAUGE PCI CARD, RENESSAS PCI-Ex1 USB 3.0 CARD AND NVIDIA 8800GT GRAPHICS CONECTED TO A 36inch CRT HDTV WHIT 1080i 1024x768 RESOLUTION ALL POWERED WHIT A COOLER MASTER 650W PSU. THIS PC HAS WORKED WHIT THIS CONFIGURATION FOR MANY YEARS WHIT NO ISSUES, IT HAS SEVERAL FAN MODS THAT KEEP THE HDDS AT 25C AND THE GRAPHICS CARD(depending on the program running) AT 45C TO 70C. FOR SOME DAYS NOW WHEN POWERING ON I HAVE EXPERIMENTED SCREEN GRAPHICS CORRUPTION, WHIT FREEZING, AND TODAY EVEN WHIT A BSOD WHIT AND "HARDWARE MALFUNCTION MEMORY PARITY FAILURE" MESSAGE SCREEN, THE RESEARCH FROM THE INTERNET INDICATED A MAJOR GRAPHICS CARD, RAM MEMORY OR PSU PROBLEM. BY THE SEVERITY OF THE SYMPTOMS THIS PC SHOULD BE UNUSABLE, THE ODD THING IS THAT THIS SYMPTOMS ONLY MANIFESTATE WHIT THE FIRST POWERING ON OF EACH DAY AFTER A FEW FORCED POWERING OFF OR REBOOTS THE PC CONTINUES WORKING ALL DAY AS IF NOTHING APPENED EVEN RUNNIG GAMES AT HIGH SETTINGS LIKE "METRO 2033, LOST PLANET 3, RED FACTION ARMAGEDDON, ETC" WHICH ARE A HEAVY LOAD FOR HARDWARE AND SHOULD CAUSE THE HARDWARE FAILURE SYMPTOMS TO APPEAR IM EVEN WRITTING THIS POST IN THIS SUPOSELY BROKEN PC AND HAS BEEN POWERED FROM THE EARLY MORNING.
I COULD NOT FIND IN THE INTERNET ANY CASE LIKE THIS, THE ONLY SIMILARITIES RESIDES IN THE SYMPTOMS OF A GRAPHICS CARD FAILURE, ANY SUGGESTION WOULD BE APRECIATED.

crjdriver

It's My Birthday!
First and foremost, please do not write in all caps. It is difficult to read and considered to be shouting.
Next that is some VERY old hardware. Have you replaced the pw supply? If not, that would be the first thing I would do.
Cold boot problems that go away after a reboot are very often pw supply problems. The capacitors in the pw supply discharge overnight and when you push the pw button in the morning, the old unit does not have enough to boot the system. After a restart, the caps are now up to full charge and it works.

Last edited:

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
DELL OPTIPLEX GX620 RUNNING WINDOWS XP
NVIDIA 8800GT GRAPHICS
COOLER MASTER 650W PSU
The NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT graphics card uses 105 - 125W of power and requires a "minimum" of a 400W power supply.
It also has a marginal benchmark score(720) and isn't suitable for quality gaming.

CoolerMaster has several 650W power supplies, so you need to advise us what the model number is on yours or provide a webpage link to it.

-------------------------------------------------------------

charityworker

the model and brand of the PSU is coolermaster EX2 extreme 625 with product number RS-625-PCAR-D3 which i bough new an cost about $70 dlls is most newest component of the pc, About the graphics card its adecuate and runs the same games found in the xbox360 and ps3 (which i also own) with better graphics on functionalaity like consoles commands, etc,
First and foremost, please do not write in all caps. It is difficult to read and considered to be shouting.
Next that is some VERY old hardware. Have you replaced the pw supply? If not, that would be the first thing I would do.
Cold boot problems that go away after a reboot are very often pw supply problems. The capacitors in the pw supply discharge overnight and when you push the pw button in the morning, the old unit does not have enough to boot the system. After a restart, the caps are now up to full charge and it works.
The NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT graphics card uses 105 - 125W of power and requires a "minimum" of a 400W power supply.
It also has a marginal benchmark score(720) and isn't suitable for quality gaming.

CoolerMaster has several 650W power supplies, so you need to advise us what the model number is on yours or provide a webpage link to it.

-------------------------------------------------------------

crjdriver

It's My Birthday!
Honestly that old of a system is not really cost effective to repair however if you want to proceed, do some basic troubleshooting.
To start, monitor your voltages ie 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Monitor this under both a full load and a no load condition. Use prime95 to load the system. Use hardware monitor to monitor the temps [both are free downloads]
Next open the system and give the board a VERY close inspection with a bright light. See if you find any capacitors that look like the pics below.

Attachments

charityworker

Before describing the images, i will say that i already inspected the pc and psu for any blow capacitor or any other component, everyting looks normal, tested the 12v, 5v, r
Honestly that old of a system is not really cost effective to repair however if you want to proceed, do some basic troubleshooting.
To start, monitor your voltages ie 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Monitor this under both a full load and a no load condition. Use prime95 to load the system. Use hardware monitor to monitor the temps [both are free downloads]
Next open the system and give the board a VERY close inspection with a bright light. See if you find any capacitors that look like the pics below.
Cooler Master Extreme 2 625 (model #RS-625-PCAR)

View attachment 246293

--------------------------------------------------------------
ails and also are normal, and downloaded prime95 today in the morning and runned all the test excep for the custom test, all test where passed with no errors or warnings. For image001 i started the WinTV program and runned ok for about 10 to 20 seconds then the corruption show and frozed up then the desktop returned to normal but it was necesary to restart the wintv program, for image003 and 004 show the same previos effect but this time the pc showed a short BSOD and then restarted itself, for image008, 009 show the restart process and image011 shows the desktop with no issues but it frozed in the process of starting the wintv program with no response from kb or mouse. Yesteraday the pc runned from early morning with no symptoms of any kind even played games like fallout3, fallout new vegas, red faction armagedon at higt quality setting with no side effects of any kind all day

Attachments

crjdriver

It's My Birthday!
Post your exact voltage rails here. Next the specs show you have onboard video. What happens when you pull the video card out and use the onboard?

charityworker

Tested all voltages in standby mode, the +5VSB is 5.05v in standby and 5.04v when powering on it variated to 5.09v when some distortions randomly apeared, the yellow cable is 12.19v, one orange is 3.355v and the other is 3.337v, the rail connected to the graphics card ranged from 12.22v to 12.14v when playing a game, the behavior of the psu seems normal monitored the voltajes with a fluke multimeter and no voltage feld below 5v or 12v, the brand and model of my graphics card is EVGA GeForce 8800GT P/N:512-P3-N801-AR 512MB pci-eX16 with 256bit bus, i tested the pc without the graphics card using the onboard graphics and everiting run normal and the voltages remained the same, i will upload some images with their respective description, images004, 006, 007 shown the effects when starting borderlands game before that the desktop was ok, images009, 010, 012, 016, show the restarting of borderlands but this time i worked ok, image018 shows the procces of exiting borderlands game al the icons dissapear with a temporary kb and mouse frezing and some black areas in the screen . Other symptom that has appeared and is more evident in certain games like fallout 3 and red faction guerrilla and desktop is that the images are not has smoother as before and the lines appear with a saw tooht pattern i wil include images with their description
Post your exact voltage rails here. Next the specs show you have onboard video. What happens when you pull the video card out and use the onboard?

Attachments

crjdriver

It's My Birthday!
If it works normally with the onboard, you pretty much have your answer; the video card has failed. As I said before, this old of a system is not really worth putting any money into fixing however that is up to you.

charityworker

image025 shows the starting of red faction guerrilla game with no issues, images026, 027, 028 shows the saw tooht pathern symptoms in the lines, image029 and 030 shows the lack of smoothnes, Now i will post some pictures of my right, everyting as been carefuly put togheter to keep all components working in low temperatures besides the water heat is the second nemesis of electronics.

Attachments

charityworker

Truth and Reconciliation, i supose i having a hard time accepting the dead of my graphics card, but is just a side effect after many years of happy gaming and the functionality, it remansmy of the great wall of China how has endured over 3000 years, the chinese should apply the same filosofy in all the electronics they export
If it works normally with the onboard, you pretty much have your answer; the video card has failed. As I said before, this old of a system is not really worth putting any money into fixing however that is up to you.

Attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online