1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

graphic design and logo design

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by jthenerd, Jun 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jthenerd

jthenerd Thread Starter

Im wanting to know a good prgram to build banners, crop images, change background image colors, and create different styles of text with curves and such. Culd someone please tell me what software to purchase. Im just learning so i need something not too hard to understand. I have searched on the net but havent found much. A person made the banner below and i would liek to make something like this. please let me know. I would liek to know how this person did the font or text. and how they did all of the work on it. And what software is required to do this

Attached Files:

2. lister

lister

Either Paintshop Pro, Photoshop or Corel Draw would do it.
    Paintshop Pro being by far the cheaper of the three.

3. jthenerd

jthenerd Thread Starter

Corel draw, Will this let em draw images and things and change them by color and bend or minipulate them?

4. Rockn

Rockn

I would go Photoshop all the way. There is a learning curve with any application, but once you learn it, it is a very powerful program. Tons of free tutorials and resources on the internet as well.

5. jthenerd

jthenerd Thread Starter

wow corel draw is not too easy. I ahve been working for 3 hours just to be able to crop an image
    Is photshop pro easier?

6. Rockn

Rockn

Like I said, there is a learning curve with every piece of software.

7. Jack Goa

Jack Goa

Corel is easier than Photoshop, but they work on different principles. Photoshop does bitmaps(working with pixels etc) corel works with vector files(whereas its resolution independent).
    It wll take much longer than 3 hours to learn any of these proggies. Months, sorry if it's discouraging, but if your passionate its worth it!!!!!!!! You'll come to love it.
    Go through the help sections. They describe all the tools. You'll be surprised what you can learn in a day.
    To crop an image in corel go to effects, powerclip.
    Or check how powerclip works in the help section.!!!!
    Good luck and enjoy.
    Oh and to your original question. Corel is good for working with fonts and designing flyers and business cards and the like, whereas photoshop is better for editing things like photos etc. Thats very simplified though cos if you know the proggies very well you would be able to do both in both. ;)
    An enthusiast..
    Enjoy

8. royely

royely

I would also suggest putting the time in on learning photoshop. After purchasing the program, search the internet for free tutorials AND go to your local bookseller and find "Photoshop for Dummies". You'll find it extremely helpful. As well, there will be many other books about photoshop and its various capabilities. If you're really daring, purchase Adobe InDesign and try working with it. It integrates the capabilities of photoshop, illustrator, and pagemaker. Again, you'll need to search for tutorials and pick up a book or two. Regardless of what you choose, you'll have to invest a lot of time and effort in learning the program. Good luck!

9. lister

lister

I thought Corel Draw was the suite (if you bought Draw you got Paint etc) - hell, I haven't used it since v7!
    Can you buy them seperately now?

10. Jack Goa

Jack Goa

No don't think so, Photo Paint comes with Draw in a suite.
    btw jthenerd. Photoshop is the industry standard, it's what most designers use, but once again once u get to know the proggies it's all about personal preference.

11. buck52

buck52 Banned

12. neosage

neosage

I haven't used it since v3.0 ! Did it actually ever get user-friendly?

Adobe Illustrator coupled with Adobe Photoshop are simply the most powerful combination you can ever have to create images and logos, period. It's a fairly steep learning curve with both of them, but worth persevering with help from online tutorials and books. That's why *every* design agency on the planet uses them. Not cheap though, but you can pick up older versions on ebay for reasonable money, and as long as you go for Illustrator later than version 7 and Photoshop later than version 5 you can't really go wrong.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!