1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphical artifacts despite of normal temperatures

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by B Rastax, Jun 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. B Rastax

B Rastax Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

Just thought I should try a support forum as a last resort before I turn to the company from which I bought my PC (service is usually horrible in computer retailers in Israel, :|).

Well, my problem, is that I get graphical artifacts in every game and/or 3D application with average to high requirements (Half-Life 2, Far Cry, that HDR rendering demo, etc.). These glitches often are briefly flashing lines and shapes (which, for some reason, correspond to the player's perspective... but that's understandable I suppose). These things appear mainly in the more demanding areas in the game map, though they sometimes appear everywhere. Again, this is recurrent in every game.

I am aware that over-heating in the card may cause this sort of problems, so I checked the temperatures. On idle mode, my card tops at about 40c. In max 3D processing (Half-Life 2 - Episode One with all settings maxed and after about 30 minutes of gameplay) it tops at around 60-65c. However, performance-wise, the game(s) run perfectly - I usually get an average FPS of 60-70 and it never drops below 30. Also no sound problems, no crashing, nothing.

My drivers are, of course, up to date and I even tried downgrading them. Didn't help.

Here are my specs:
    AMD Athlon 64 3500
    Albatron GeForce 7800GT 256MB
    1GB DDR Dual Channel RAM
    WinXP Pro with SP2
    Every driver imaginable up to date

I would GREATLY appreciate any help.

P.S: If screenshots of the weird glitches are needed, I will post some.

Thanks!

2. silvershield

silvershield

3. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

You're not overclocking the card at all then?

Quick things to try are removing and firmly reseating the video card and your system RAM.

Also, run "Memtest" for a few hours (or overnight) and see if it throws up any errors:

http://www.memtest.org/

4. B Rastax

B Rastax Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

No, I am not OC'ing the card, and not any other hardware in my system for that matter.

Tried reseating the card, and RAM, didn't help.
    Also, I should mention that I have recently reformat my PC. They problem existed before AND after the reformat, so I doubt it is a software problem :(.

I am going to post a link to a short video capture of a minute or two of Episode One Gameplay (I hope that's legal, lol).

I will try to run the programs recommended here.
    Any other suggestions?
    Thanks again.

5. B Rastax

B Rastax Thread Starter

OK, I've got the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS2ffa5jzVs

It's about 6 minutes in length.

Watch closely, you'll see the artifacts. They are most obvious near the end of the video. I've discovered that it depends on what I'm looking at in any given moment (if I were to look at the floor, etc, they would stop appearing).

Again, thanks in advance.

6. silvershield

silvershield

Sorry to say this, but right now I'm stumped...
    The only thing i can think of is maybe actually your PSU...?
    Is your power supply sufficient for the video card?
    Are you positive you arent overclocking anything in the system?
    (GPU Core clock, memory clock, CPU etc....)?

7. B Rastax

B Rastax Thread Starter

Absolutely NOTHING is overclocked. I double checked that.

About the PSU - Well, this is a fairly new system (bought in October 2005), so it should be OK.

This is turning out to be a hardware problem in the card itself, don't you think (no point in denial anymore, lol)?

8. B Rastax

B Rastax Thread Starter

OK, a little update.

I've tried some things. It turns out that the problem has nothing to do with the workload on the graphics card. I played Episode One on 640X480 with everything set to the lowest settings possible (also no Antialiasing or Anisotropic), and tried it with and without vertical sync.

The artifacts still showed.

Also, I've made another video, this time showing that when I move my mouse the artifacts move to, and sometimes just disappear (this isn't to say that only one viewing angle causes them to show, but.... well, I dunno :|).

Here it is.

9. silvershield

silvershield

Do you have an integrated graphics card in your PC? If you do, try removing the Nvidia card and try using the integrated graphics and see if you still see the artifacts. If you dont, then you have either a bad card, or a driver or cooling problem in the card.
    If you are positive cooling and driver issues are resolved, then I would say get a new card...

10. B Rastax

B Rastax Thread Starter

I'm afraid I don't have that...

I think I'm gonna have to get my PC to the company and let them fix things.

;;.....

At least I still have the warranty so it souldn't cost me a dime.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

11. 11514145208

I have the EXACT same problem as you. My specs are as follows:

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum w/ AMD64 3500+ Venice Core
    Leadtek PX7800GT Extreme
    Kingston Valuram 2 x 512MB DDR400 Dual Channel
    Windows SP2

Seems like most of our parts are similar. Mind posting more detailed specs of your machine and maybe we could narrow down the problem? If we cooperate we might be able to work it out :)

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

I would bet anything there is a cheapo correct wattage generic or non name psu, that isn't cutting it. Unless I see Antec, thermaltake, Sparkle or Enermax, I get real suspicious!

13. 11514145208

Haha doubt so, since I'm using a Verudium Vortex 430W which should be more than sufficient...

14. B Rastax

B Rastax Thread Starter

Well I'm sure my parts are a bit 'generic' since I'm not a serious hardware junky (in terms of which company makes my cooling and such), but things SHOULD be ok unless it's old or cheap or something.

Then again, games also SHOULD not have graphical artifacts in them...

And about detailed specs, sure:
    Um... let's see.

AMD Athlon 64 3500+, stock (box) cooling.
    Epox 9NPA Ultra+ (nForce 4) motherboard
    1024 (2X512) SuperTalent DDR PC3200 400 MHz (2X200)
    Albatron GeForce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 RAM
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    520W Power Supply (have no idea from which company)
    In terms of cooling (again, no idea of the makers so this is gonna be a little amature): I got, besides the CPU and graphics card cooling, a fan on the motherboard chip, two for the Power supply, one for the hard drive, and two more for the case itself (one of which is HUGE, about 6" in diameter)

That's all for now. If you need any more information I will gladly get it.

15. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

Seems pretty unlikely that both problem systems in this thread would have bad RAM or dodgey power supplies, so it's either a driver issue or some fundamental problem with the 7800GT.
    It's not the first thread on this board about artifact problems with the 7800GT.
    In fact......
    > Google <

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/475292

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice