1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphical Corruption/Artifacting in MANY Games

Discussion in 'Games' started by Harmonica, Jul 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Harmonica

Harmonica Thread Starter

Hello,

First, here's some history:

I had a Radeon 9700 Pro which crapped out while under warranty. I RMA'd it to receive, surprise, a Radeon 9800 Pro. The 9700 worked flawlessly until it's death, but this 9800 has been giving me some problems.

Since installing the 9800 Pro, I've had graphical corruption and artifacting in some of the games I play while others work perfectly. The corruption appears differently in all the games, but usually shows up as some kind of random black flash on textures. I was convinced that these were a result of bad drivers/registry entries left from the 9700, but I recently reformatted to find that I still have the problem.

Here is a list of games that I'm having trouble with:

-Battlefield 2 - Black flashes on textures and some crazy things going on with static models like buildings, the weapon, etc.
    -GTA San Andreas - CJ and all of the characters randomly emit little polygons and look like they're breaking apart, yet textures, buildings, and everything else are perfect
    -Doom III - Black flashes all over textures

From this, I would assume that I was experiencing some overheating issues, however the following games work like a charm:

-Battlefield Vietnam
    -GTA 3/GTA Vice City
    -Quake 3
    -Half-Life 2/Counterstrike Source
    -UT2004

I have plenty more games that I could try, but I think you get the picture.

Here's a list of things I've tried-

-Reformatting
    -A vast array of drivers from 2.x and on
    -Updated nForce drivers
    -Using tweak tools like rage3D to change settings, primarily z-buffer settings because I'd read that they have something to do with graphical corruption
    -Changing hardware acceleration to low
    -Countless other things that I can't remember, but don't really matter because they were before the reformat.

I'd like to get some help now that I have a clean slate after the reformat. Thanks ahead for your suggestions.

Finally, here's my specs

-Athlon XP 2600
    -Asus A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard
    -Radeon 9800 Pro
    -1024 GB PC3200 Geil Ram
    -20GB 7200 + 160GB 7200 HD's
    -SB Audigy 1
    -Winfast TV Capture Card
    -Modem

I can post some pics if needed. Thanks again.

2. jtsquared

jtsquared

Battlefield 2 is pretty new and could be buggy in and of itself. I know Doom 3 uses pretty advanced shading techniques for those real-time shadows. Half-Life 2 is known to work better with ATI cards anyway. Sounds like it could be a DirectX issue to me, or perhaps you have some software on your machine that is conflicting somehow (would explain why reformat wouldn't fix it, if you added the conflicting software back, assuming your hardware is OK). Maybe you should try removing any software for that Winfast capture card and updating/reinstalling DirectX. Are you using XP? Service Pack 2?

Hope this helps,

jT

3. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

I hope your computer is good cooling because those cards overheat and get artifacts. Also make sure you have a good enough psu.

4. Harmonica

Harmonica Thread Starter

I have XP Service Pack 1. I don't really want to upgrade to SP 2, but if you think it will help I will. I have an antec truepower 480w, so I think I can rule out any power difficulties. Also, I have 2 180mm fans circulating pretty well in my comp and I haven't had any previous problems with over heating. Also the fact that it only occurs in some games and never comes to the point of crashing dissuades me from a heat issue.

5. Harmonica

Harmonica Thread Starter

Aaah yes, one more thing. The first thing that I did after the reformat was play these games that I had issues with. It didn't fix it so I can rule out the conflicting software.

6. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

What about drivers and latest directx?

7. Harmonica

Harmonica Thread Starter

I am using Catalyst 5.4's (I've tried 5.6s) and the newest Direct X 9.0c.

8. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

Why aren't you using the latest catalyst tho?

9. jtsquared

jtsquared

I would still try pulling out that capture card, or at least disabling it (so as to remove any active drivers at all) just to make sure it wasn't messing up your DirectX.

jT

10. Harmonica

Harmonica Thread Starter

I tried the latest Catalysts to with no improvements and downgraded because the 5.4's I had utilized the Catalyst Control Center. I can't really download the new ones with the CCC because I'm on a 28.8k connection at the moment.

I'll disable the capture card just to rule it out.

11. Harmonica

Harmonica Thread Starter

Disabled capture card, no improvement. I just thought of something... All of these games are DX9 games, correct? Are any of the games that I mentioned that worked DX9? Is there any way I can tinker with DirectX to see if it's the problem?

12. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

you can run dxdiag (run-->dxdiag)

13. Harmonica

Harmonica Thread Starter

I've tried dxdiag and all directdraw and other video tests came out fine. I'm talking about possibly disabling dx9 extensions in the games...Is there any way to do that?

By the way, I don't know if this hints at any solution to the problem, but I used Radlinker, a program that came with these dhZer0point drivers I downloaded, to disable something called TCL in both opengl and direct3d. San Andreas ran perfectly and so did Doom 3. Battlefield 2 refused to start without it, though. Also, the performance on the aforementioned games and other games that I tried took such a huge hit that it really wasn't even worth disabling it.

Also, I tried forcing the vertex shader to 1.0. Once again Battlefield 2 didn't open up, but San Andreas ran smoothly.

14. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

"Zer0point Drivers are modified Forceware drivers, meaning they are NOT supported or endorsed by nVidia"

And it seemed you have a 9800 card. That isn't even nvidia why are you using 3rd party drivers anyway?

15. Harmonica

Harmonica Thread Starter

They make them for ATI as well and I thought I'd try the modified drivers. Also they came with the radlinker tweaking utility, hoss.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/378527

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice