elderrhody444

"Unable to initialize Direct 3D" message when trying to launch games. That is the main problem. I am not sure how to fix it because of the information below:

This is a Dell 2005 desktop running Windows XP and it has an ATI Radeon card as well as the integrated graphics card. The games I run on this machine all ran fine.

I moved the desktop to another room and reconnected it, and now there is a problem with graphics when trying to launch games. I have no idea why this occurred.

The ATI Radeon system check I ran says the machine has DirectX 9.0, (good for the games I run which are all 98, XP or Vista), and it has Direct3D. The system check says the system is okay.

However, the several games I try to launch, (Medieval Total War, Patrician III and Rome Total War), will not run because a message popup says "Unable to initialize Direct 3D."

When I check for graphics acceleration to see if the several necessary files are available, they are listed as "Unavailable," and there are no "Enable" fields or buttons to enable them. I don't get this because the ATI system check says they are there and the system is okay.

This desktop is not connected to the internet so I cannot download any files to fix the problem, I have to download to my laptop on a thumb drive and then somehow find the correct folder to load any driver files into the desktop. I have tried this before, but I simply do not know where to copy a downloaded file into what folder specifically.

Download DirectX whichever version you are using and reinstall DirectX. Your hard drive may have some weak sectors.

managed

Allan
Are you sure you connected the video cable to the Graphics card and not the Motherboard ?

elderrhody444

Download DirectX whichever version you are using and reinstall DirectX. Your hard drive may have some weak sectors.
But the system check by the ATI Radeon dashboard said I had all the necessary DirectX files. I can try to do what you suggest,. In which folder do I place the DirectX 9.0 file I download to my laptop and then transfer via thumb drive to the desktop?

elderrhody444

Are you sure you connected the video cable to the Graphics card and not the Motherboard ?
Ooooh, didn't even occur to me. There are two ports on rear of the desktop for the monitor and I used the lower one on the desktop. Maybe it should be in the higher one.? But, wait, what exactly do you mean by "video cable," the cable from the desktop to the monitor? I apologize because I am not as knowledgeable as you so bear with me. I think the pins don't fit in the higher port, and so I have always used the lower one. However, maybe that is not what you mean???

elderrhody444

Okay, the different ports on the desktop had nothiing to do with anything. So ignore my ignorance regarding your suggestion. But, I went into the Control Panel, Settings, System, and enabled the display driver shown as shut off. Then I checked the dxdialog and it showed that Direct 3D and Direct Draw graphics acceleration were both enabled.

I had to restart the computer because Medieval Total War was still not launching but I figured the change in the display driver required a restart to active it properly. After the restart, the game launched.

Great! Now my gamesT

Thank you to the tech support people who were kind enough to respond with helpful advice.

managed

Allan
Glad you got it fixed. (y)

Please click on [Mark Solved] at the top-left of your page if you are sure it is.

elderrhody444

Thanks but I am still working on one game: Medieval Total War. When I switched the graphics card and restarted, the home screen for the game was horizontal. I was baffled. Never happened before. So I did a www search and the problem was solved by the Shift arrows technique to get the screen vertical. But, although the game launched, the saved game I chose to click on would not launch. I got the error message I always get from Windows and so I have to reboot the computer again and hope the game episode will then open. I am still baffled why all this happened, since I had changed nothing but simply moved the desktop into another room... I was bummed out yesterday so I didn't bother to reboot, but will try again today. The other games worked fine after the change in graphics card.

elderrhody444

So I checked Medieval Total War's again just now and for some reason the main menu page opens fine and looks as it should. However, when I click on any particular saved game to load, a Medieval Total War title page opens horizontally, on the screen. I checked the Properties Compatibility, and it is still set at Windows98/ME, which is correct, as it always has run with that setting.

Should I reinstall the game do you think, or is this another issue entirely?

managed

Allan
I would try saving the game then close the game and restart it and see if that save is ok. If it is I think the older saves must have a problem.

elderrhody444

Nah, loading a saved game from before the problem results in the horizontal screen which then jumps back to the Main Menu after a few seconds. When I tried to start a new game from the Main Menu, it allows me to pick a time frame, a faction, but then when I click on the Strart Game button, it kicks me back to the horizontal screen followed a few seconds later by the Main Menu screen.

I think I may have to re-install the game in order for it to work properly, (fingers crossed, this is my favorite game of all time.)

Patrician III, Imperial Conquest, FreeCol and Rome Total War are all working fine after I changed the graphics display card or whatever that was in the System settings.

Any further ideas, or do you think I should re-install the game? It is no big deal, I saved the saved games in a dummy folder on my desktop so I can reload them into the save folder of the Medieval Total War program folder.

managed

Allan
I can't think of anything so you might as well reinstall the game.

elderrhody444

I noticed when I rebooted the desktop a message which again said that the ATI dashboard and program was unable to initiate because there was of a missing ATI driver. I was stumped so I opened the program folder using Windows Explorer and it showed so many drivers in the ATI folder they probably outnumbered the Montenegran Army.

How could I possibly know which driver was supposedly missing? And to boot, (no pun intended), I had re-installed the ATI program from the original ATI Radeon Catalyst CD, which was the original one from when I placed the Radeon hardware in the desktop about 15 years ago. So, since I re-installed from the original CD, automatically, not pick-and-choose, all necessary drivers must be there.

Oh, wait, I remembered I activated a disabled driver in the System settings utility, so does that have anything to do with the problem? No, maybe the ATI missing driver, but the Medieval Total War program wasn't running properly with or without that graphics driver enabled/disabled.

Comments? Ideas?

elderrhody444

I cannot download anything on the WinXP desktop because I eliminated all internet connection softwareld because I would not use any Windows updates because they blew out all my older games which required authentification codes. Sorry.

The dxdialog says Microsoft Windows X Home Ed. 5.1 Build 2600 Dell Dimension 3000 Phoenix ROM Bios Plus V. 1.10 A02 Processor Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80 GHz 510 MB RAM, 325MB used 920M available DirectX 9.0c. None of this has been altered by me, except I installed a better graphics card way back in 2005 and the game has worked fine since last week when the Furies chose to pick on me and attacked it.

The DirectDraw acceleration is enabled. The Direct3D acceleration is enabled, they tested okay too. It says no problems found for the Display tab on the DirectX diagnostic tool. The Main driver is ialmrnt5.dll v. 6.14 9/20/2005. Mini VDD is ialmnt5.sys VDD: na DDI v. 9 or (higher)

If I click on Control Panel, System, Device Manager, and then Display adapters, it gives me Intel 82865G gaphics controller, (which by the way was disabled when I first looked after the game kept blowing back to the main menu.) I enabled it to see if it would help, but it did not. I left it enabled. However, when I disabled it back then, the game still launched and other displays were okay, so I thought there must be another graphics controller, but maybe I simply don't understand. The controller is supposedly working properly. The driver for that Intel 82865G graphics adapter says Intel, 9/20/05 6.14.10.4396. I cannot update the driver, because I don't have internet capability on this pc and if I downloaded it into a thumb drive on my laptop I wouldn't know where to place it in the desktop anyway.

There are no ! nor unknown devices in the device manager.

BTW, I discovered that the ATI driver that was missing was to run Hydravision, which is irrelevant apparently to this problem.

I apologize if I fail to comprehend some of the technical language. I took an M.A. in History though I aced a technical aptitude test and they wanted me to go to computer training. Love to read and play with toy soldiers and historical strategy/war games, that is pretty much what I am about. BTW, my Human Resources Compensation and HRIS Department, (I was the manager), got the first mini-computer in 1998 at Metropolitan Life's Home and Auto Company where I was the 40th person hired.) We ran DOS in those days, and they assigned a COBOL systems analyst to learn and administer the system for us. We ran the annual salary increase formulas from that, and a few other such. Today it would not even power a simple printer, though it cost $9,000, but that included a fancy computer table and dot matrix printer plus a ton of backup disks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online