Solved Graphics Card acting weird

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Terryw92

Recently i tried cleaning the dust out of my graphics card, when i started the computer, the GPU temperature was fluctuating alot, also noticed the voltage was rising and dropping with the temps( going from .875 V to 1.238 V for no reason ).
So i took the computer apart and checked cable's etc still no luck, few more attempts and finally the card was acting normal again.(Steady temps and steady voltage 30C idle and on google).
Turned the computer on today and the GPU is back to acting weird with the temps and voltage rising, if i drag a blue box on my desktop background the temps on the GPU shoot up (up to 50C+) aswell as the voltage, when its running normal the temps stay steady and the voltage doesn't rise above .950 V , unless in-game i guess
(the voltage is always fluctuating when the temps go up )
GPU - R9 270x Sapphire
CPU - FX 6300
RAM - 8GB
PSU - 650W XFX
Windows - 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1

I can give more information, just ask, am not really understanding why it is doing this

These Screenshots were couple seconds apart when the voltage sticks at 1.238 the temps just keep going up until 50C when the fans speed up,
1st column is current Value, 2nd column is Minimum Value, 3rd column is Max Value

Gpu Screenshot 2.PNG GPU Screenshot.PNG

Last edited:

Terryw92

Just a update, took the graphics card out checked cables and the psu cables, put it back in and temps are acting normal for now. Last time the gpu went back to acting weird after a restart any idea's what could be causing this?
GPU screenshot 3.PNG

Terryw92

another update, voltages and temps went back to fluctuating without restarting, could it be the connection to the motherboard from the GPU? only thing i can think is the vibrations making the graphics card work itself loose? any suggestions of ways to figure this out would be appreciated.

Hi Terryw92. I've read through your posts and I have a couple of suggestions.

1) Have you made sure the fan has been tightly screwed down and that each screw is equally torqued?
2) Does the fan run smoothly? If there are any bearing or balancing issues that could cause the vibrations that you are talking about
3) Have you tried testing your power supply with a power supply tester?

I'm sorry I cannot help any further

Terryw92

TheFlyingScotsman Thanks for the suggestions, the fans are equally tightened and do seem to be running smoothly, as for the power supply might take me a little while to test it, but its on the list of things to check now, the next thing am going to try is setting the computer up outside of the case, just in case the graphics card isn't sitting in the slot correctly, i will update this post with any new information as i find it out.

Terryw92

just a side note the computer does run with the temps and voltage acting like it is, just with a performance hit in games gta5 is losing about 20-30fps and csgo is near crashing when i see someone dropping from 200fps to 80fps then shooting back up

Last edited:

Oddba11

Jim
The gpu will typically work or not work in regards to how it's inserted. It wouldn't perform in the way that you are describing from a slot issue (at least not that I've ever seen). Based on what you've described, it sounds like a faulty card. The easiest test to confirm, would be to move the card to another computer.

Terryw92

Thank you for the information, unfortunately i was hoping to hear something like that, there is a small computer shop close to me that does diagnostics for £35 and that covers the first hour of work, do you think this problem is the sort of thing they will be able to find?

Terryw92

I will be able to put the computer into a computer shop is this a issue they will be able to find? I don't have parts to test myself, anyway let me know if it's my best way to go, thanks In advance.

Terryw92

Got the Computer back from the shop today, they said the Graphics card was the issue, and offered to fit a new card, so i went ahead and got it. They fitted a Radeon Sapphire RX 470 4GB Graphics card, which seems to be working fine but the temps seem really high ( 80C )compared to my old card R9 270x which maxed at 60C is this normal for that card? (this was after 20minutes in a game of csgo) Gpu New Temps.PNG

Terryw92

Decided to check with Sapphire and ask them - "The GPU target temperature would set as 75 degree C , if the GPU temperature is over 75 degree C when operating , the fan will automatically speed up to cool down the GPU temperature in order to close the 75 degree C.
If you keep seeing the GPU temperature is around 85-88 degree C , that is abnormal" Thats for Sapphire RX470 4gb, also GPU-Z seems more accurate at reading the graphics card than hwmonitor.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online