1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics Card and Monitor Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by V-man, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. V-man

V-man Thread Starter

I recently bought a new graphics card in order to run a few new games I've installed it correctly and it seems to be running fine however when I plug my monitor into it it says out of range then turns black and I'm now at a loss of what to do. Please Help.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Start the PC in safe mode, which should give 640 x 480 at 60Hz refresh.

While in safe mode reset the resolution to exactly that of the monitor, leave the refresh rate at 60 Hz.

Or, boot with the new monitor installed, which may achieve the same thing provided you set the refresh rate to 60 Hz using the old monitor before you shut down.

Out of range is the LCD telling you that the refresh rate or resolution (usually the refresh rate) is wrong.

3. V-man

V-man Thread Starter

I've used this monitor for a year now, its the graphics card I have installed and I have to plug the monitor into the card to run the games and this when the out of range message appears. I did as you said but the resolution won't go down further than 800X600

4. V-man

V-man Thread Starter

*Bump

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You should plug the monitor into this new card BEFORE you turn the computer on, it sounds like you connection the monitor after booting the computer or am I misunderstanding.

6. V-man

V-man Thread Starter

I have done that I just get the message out of range on my monitor.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Ok, so thats what needs to be solved first. The computer is not sending out a single through the new card.

What is the make and model of the computer you have, the make and model of the video card, and the make and model of your power supply?

8. V-man

V-man Thread Starter

The video card is a nvidia geforce fx 5200, I have no idea of how to find out what the power supply is.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Thats a pretty old and poor gaming card, I though it might be drawing too much power from the computer but I doubt thats the case now. But when you open up the side of the computer you shoudl see a sticker on the power supply with the model and wattage. And whats the make and model of the computer you have?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/782288

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice