1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics card and two power supplies.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alderwine, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alderwine

alderwine Thread Starter

I have two weak power supplies (266w & 205w). I have a graphics card that lists 350w as the minimum spec. The 266w supply is actually in the case, and the 205w is surplus. Would it be possible/reasonable to attach the 205w supply to the power jack on the graphics card? Would the card utilize both supplies, or just draw from the case supply? Would this fry the card?

Thanks for your time.

2. shinybeast

shinybeast

I think, but not certain, that the motherboard power connection needs to be attached to a motherboard for the power supply to function. Meaning you would have to attach both power supplies to the motherboard which is impossible if it has one connection. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

3. BG-0

BG-0

Depends on the power supplies and the graphics card. If the GFX has a slot for 6-pin extra power, then it would be reasonable to connect the power there from the extra PSU to it. And let it draw the 75 W from the installed PSU, and the extra from the other one.

Still, it's not sure that this will work, as the PSUs can be too crappy to be enough.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757904

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice