1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics card artefacts

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jiaife, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jiaife

Jiaife Thread Starter

Hi,

I've had trouble with my computer for a little while now. My ram went bad at first, and now it's my graphics card. I had some trouble when opening my computer that the screen just wouldn't show anything (Never happened when I removed the graphics card and used onboard). I just stopped shutting down my computer and it didn't happen again afterwards. Now this morning I started getting flashes on any game (It's always been there, but now it just won't stop and it happens so frequently it actually is making me unable to play, it flashes every 2-3 seconds), and I got artefacts two times. I did not manage to take a screenshot of the flashing as it happens too quickly for me to react fast enough, but I have two screenshots of artefacts that I got while playing League of Legends.

Can anyone help me please ? I probably will have to bring my piece back and exchange it for a new graphics card, but just in case the problem is coming from something else, or if there is a diagnostic tool I can use to make sure it's the graphics card that has a problem. Thanks.

Here are the specs from TSG SysInfo :

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 12249 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 122001 MB, Free - 34014 MB; D: Total - 953866 MB, Free - 396605 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., G1.Sniper M3
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

My graphics card is an Asus Radeon HD 7850. I know for sure the problem is not related to overheating, the card stays at 40 celsius when I play this game, and does not go much higher than 50 when playing Guild Wars 2 with everything maxed.

Attached Files:

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I can't see anything wrong on those screen-shots can you ?

That's good news in a way, if the artefacts were visible on the Monitor when you made those screen-shots the problem is probably not the Graphics card. If possible try a different Video lead and a different Monitor.

3. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

LOL, look again! :rolleyes:
    You can see the garbled graphics in the bottom right on the first screenshot above the little map. On the 2nd there's a weird stripy triangle above the map.

Have you overclocked the card?

Chances are the card is knackered, garbled graphics are a bad sign. There is an "oven bake" trick which is a last not-recommended resort to try and salvage the card. But it's better it's replaced. Without doing a complete, proper diagnostic it's difficult to be certain it is the card that's the problem (and not the RAM or motherboard).

Do you have another computer or graphics card available to test the card?

Have you checked if it is multiple games or just that one?

You can try underclocking it and see if that helps. RivaTuner can do this.

4. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

A card not receiving enough amps on the +12v rail can also cause artifacting. You say your memory died too, so what make, model and wattage power supply are you running?

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You're right matthewdownloads, I missed those.

When I looked again I did spot some white horizontal lines near the centre of the 2nd pic though. I'm not a gamer so those lines might be normal.

It's a strange fault if all the problems are at the bottom right.

6. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

Good advice. If you boot to the BIOS that will usually tell you the volts going through the +12V rail.

If you don't know the make/model of your PSU, can you tell us the computer brand/model number?

7. Jiaife

Jiaife Thread Starter

Hi there, sorry for the slow response.

No, I have not overclocked my card. I do not currently have another graphics card to test, but as soon as I started using the onboard graphics, every problem stopped. Did not see any tearing, my monitors always have signal and no more artefacts.

My power supply is a Corsair TX850W ATX 12V.

Regarding other games, I did get tearing (White flashing like when the artefacts appeared, but not as frequent). I had it on any game that has 3d (World of Warcraft, Darksiders, for example).

As I stated in my first post, I had problems with my ram recently and found the faulty stick. I will run Memtest again. My computer has been beeping since I built it, and it still is. I am starting to wonder if there's any damned piece that isn't faulty in this machine.

8. Jiaife

Jiaife Thread Starter

I did get a lot of flashing artefacts as well. They were just way too quick for me to screenshot them, I would have had to make a video.

9. dai

dai

d/load the latest driver from nvidia and then

in the device manager uninstall the video card
    reboot tapping f8 and choose low resolution mode
    when windows finishes rebooting
    disable a/virus
    install your drivers
    reboot the computer

10. Jiaife

Jiaife Thread Starter

It has been done already. Didn't fix anything.

11. dai

dai

was it done using the method i gave you

if the beeps are bios codes check them here

www.bioscentral.com

12. Jiaife

Jiaife Thread Starter

I have tried many times fixing my problems with the graphics card. I am sure it is not a driver problem, the card is faulty. Tried it on another machine and still having issues just to get signal to a monitor.

I have no idea what to look for on your website. My motherboard is an Intel G1 Sniper M3.

The beeps are weird though, it's more like a scratching noise.... It's very hard to describe, but it is not the kind of beep that a motherboard would be doing usually. You know, the high pitched beep. This one sounds like a scratch, or almost like a chirp. It's really weird and I have no idea what's causing it.

13. dai

dai

the other machine would appear not to have a psu capable of running it

rma the card

is the sound like a clicking sound

14. Jiaife

Jiaife Thread Starter

The other machine can run the card... I have the same problem on mine as well... And no its not a clicking sound

15. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

Hi, sounds like the card is bad.

Like dai said, RMA it if you can.

If not, try underclocking it in RivaTuner and see if that helps.

Last resort is do the oven-bake trick or buy a new card.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085536

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice