1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics card broken- what may have caused it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gnosis121, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gnosis121

gnosis121 Thread Starter

For the past few days loading any 3d programs resulted in a freezing of the screen for 30 seconds or so. Lately, this has been replaced by very big graphics glitches forcing a restart. The last time, on boot, the screen had 6 green dashed lines. ( I think meaning fried video ram or something)

It did not want to go to to XP unless booted in safe mode.

Borrowed a friends old X1300 and it works. So definately a graphics card problem

Spec: P5K-E Wifi/ap
    Asus 8800GTS 320MB
    Intel C2D stock at 2.66 OCed to 3.5
    2GB GeiL ram
    NZXT lexa case

Just wondering what could have caused it.

Will probably replace with a 4850 but dont want it to happen again

Thanks! ;)

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Could be a number of things. Could be heat, could be lack of power, could be overclocking, could be an internal failure of the card - electronics like everything else will fail at some point.

3. gnosis121

gnosis121 Thread Starter

I dont think its overclocking ( it wasnt OCed) and I doubt it'll be power since I had a Corsair HX520W which I was lead to believe is sufficient.

It might have been a dust build up blocking the cooling.

Anyway ill probably go for http://www.ebuyer.com/product/146705

which is one of the cheapest ive found for a 4850

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/774603

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice