1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

graphics card compatibillity help?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Anniecyoung, Jul 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Anniecyoung

Anniecyoung Thread Starter

here is my sysinfo:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 1 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 6
    RAM: 8174 Mb
    Graphics Card: Standard VGA Graphics Adapter, 8 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 931 GB (556 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., M5A78L-M/USB3
    Antivirus: AVG Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

as you can see i'm using standard vga graphics as my card/ driver is malfunctioning. normally have a AMD Radeon 6540 installed. the card crashes with simple games like worms wmd and ultimate chicken horse. and its now progressed onto blue screening and green lines from boot up. think its about time i upgraded. ive already tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers to no success. im looking to upgrade the graphics to double now specs now. but im unsure what cards are compatible with my machine. would i also need to upgrade ram/cpu? but ideally i would like to just upgrade graphics. im looking at this one:
    PCI Express Video Graphics Card For AMD ATI Radeon HD7670 4GB DDR5 128Bit U6C0S, (EBAY £30.00)
    is this compatible? further specs for this card:
    Chip: AMD
    Memory type: DDR5
    Chip model: 7670
    Memory: 4G
    Core Speed: 650MHz
    Memory bus: 1000MHz
    Stream Processors: 192
    Bus Width: 128bit
    Interface: HDMI.VGA.DVI.PCI-E
    3D API: DirectX 12.
    Any advice would be much appreciated thank you!!! :)
    Annie x

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Your motherboard has built-in graphics you could use if you take that 6540 card out, have you tried that already ? Is 6540 a typo and should be 6450 ?

See here for a comparison of the built-in Radeon HD 3000, the 6450 and the HD 7670 cards :-
    https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare/Radeon-HD-7670-vs-Radeon-HD-3000/319vs2964

As you can see the 7670 is much better than the 6450, and should work fine in your motherboard.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  3. Anniecyoung

Hey thank you for your response, Ive gone ahead and bought the graphics card. I would have used on board but I only have a hdmi cable, and no speakers. I thought it would be compatable but I've made that mistake before on an old machine. Just wanted someone more computer savvy than me to confirm it will work. And yes it was a typo. Thank you,
    Annie x

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You're welcome Annie. Please post again when you get the 'new' Graphics card.

5. Anniecyoung

When you said I had the 3000 built in, I had a closer look at the back of the pc I mean I've opened it loads of times to clean and replace a power pack. Had the computer years.... Never realised there was a hdmi slot! Hooked it up now with on board, got HD and audio . I will reply again when I've put the 7670 in there. X
    Annie

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Well now you know ! ;)

The built-in graphics are not the greatest but can be handy. I think the PC will be a bit faster with the new Graphics card.

7. Anniecyoung

It's not working

8. Anniecyoung

I'll explain. When I plug the hardware in, I get no signal through the hdmi. I tried installing the drivers whilst using on board, it installed 760. Still no signal when put into the machine. Whilst plugged into on board, and the 7670 was in, I tried to update the driver which just put me back to 3000. So shut the pc down removed the 7670, put in the 6460 to check the pci e was still working it was. Went all green again. Removed that. Then I disabled the 3000 series. Booted down, put in the 7670..... And still nothing. I have a 230V power pack. Is that sufficient for the 7670? The fan Comes on when in the machine so it definitely getting power. Sorry to be a pain

9. Anniecyoung

10. Anniecyoung

Just checked minimum is 400W so that's not the issue.

11. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Make sure the 7670 is fully pushed down into the connector, it should disable the on-board graphics when it is.

12. Anniecyoung

Lol. Yes it was fully pushed down in every instance.

13. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  14. lynx1021

lynx1021

Did you hook the monitor to the HDMI on the 7670? some seem to forget to switch it to the card after adding one.
    Edit: just realized the card you bought ,is it branded? there are a lot of Chinese Knock-offs on eBay, never buy an unbranded card unless you have money to burn.It is better to buy a used branded card.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  15. lynx1021

lynx1021

You said "I tried installing the drivers whilst using on board, it installed 760. Still no signal when put into the machine. Whilst plugged into on board, and the 7670 was in, I tried to update the driver which just put me back to 3000" The proper way is to download the drivers then shut down. Put the new video card in and boot up. It should have just the generic VGA driver, then run the install drivers. The 7670 drivers should not even install with out the card installed.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229594

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice