1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics Card Crashing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TechSC, Jun 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TechSC

TechSC Thread Starter

Graphics Card Question - long message

I have a Sapphire Dual-X R9 270x that has a peculiar issue. The card boots to Windows 10 with no issues, but crashes during game play and when running of Unigine Heaven (barely gets past load screen) or Furmark (has run all the way through, but other times it crashes at varying points of benchmark).

The work around I have found is to downclock the core clock to 960 from 1070 mhz.

I bought the card for $2 from OfferUp with knowledge of this issue. (Paid 8 for shipping, lol) I am interested in ideas of how this could be fixed or if a possibility.

Below are troubleshooting steps I have tried: Used DDU to reinstall the latest Radeon driver - 19.5.2

Used DDU to uninstall Radeon 19.5.2 and installed driver for 18.12.2 Windows 10 (last one offered from AMD driver support)

When the 18.12.2 driver was used I did get this error message once Error = Direct 3D11 error: device hung, Direct3D11 error: out of memory, but every other time the program will crash out.
    I have tried a different Radeon gpu in the same system and there were not any issues.

I have read information that this could be a vram issue, but just wanted other input. That the graphics card is degrading over time.

I have looked up the vbios version on techpowerup and the numbers matched = 015.042.000.001.000000 . Is there another vbios option that this card could be flashed to? This is something I am not sure about and potentially bricking the card is not an issue. Thanks for any help from anyone and let me know if more information is needed.

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Have you , out of curiousity, checked temps when idle vs when in game? Do you have a quality power supply? I have seen similar issues before with either overheating or not enough power.

3. lynx1021

lynx1021

Have you looked and make sure the fans are running and the heat sink is clean? Do you have both 6 pin power plugs connected ? (
    2 x 75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express power connector is required.) 500 watt or better power supply? You can check the screws on the back(heat sink) to make sure they are snug. Here is a GPU info utility, shows temp, sensors and other info: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/

4. TechSC

TechSC Thread Starter

Thanks for posting back. I have checked the temps at idle and when running benchmarks/games. The types do not go above 65c and I have cleaned and reapplied thermal paste myself. I have tried two different power supplies - EVGA 500 watt and above.

5. TechSC

TechSC Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. The card is very clean, even when I got it. The fans are running and the card at load does not go above 65c. I have made sure that both power connectors are attached and it is a 550 watt psu. I will make sure on the screws and I do have gpu-z but will pay more attention to what temps I am getting back from this program.

Are you or anyone else familiar with flashing a vbios? Like I said in first post I think it might be with the core clock being to high, but I want to find a stable setting that does not have to be applied each time - using the radeon settings.

6. lynx1021

lynx1021

7. TechSC

TechSC Thread Starter

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229185

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice