1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics Card - DirectX support?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stealthz, Dec 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stealthz

Stealthz Thread Starter

I'm looking for a new graphics card. In the reviews I've been looking at I see that a lot say they will become obsolete when Windows Vista is released, as they do not support DirectX10. Is this a bad time to upgrade my graphics card without spending a hefty amount? I really don't want to spend over $200. However, I've been needing an upgrade for quite some time, and I would like to ypgrade soon. All these reviews make it sound like I'll need another upgrade very shortly.

I should also mention I use my computer a lot for gaming.

Are there any AGP graphics cards within $200 that will support DirectX 10 within $200 (or neat that)? If not, is it worth upgrading to a card that doesn't support DirectX 10 right now?

2. Jones

Jones

The only DX10 cards available right now are the GeForce 8000 series cards. This is the cheapest one I can find:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130071

$449.99

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Vista will not make Direct 9 cards obsolete but older Directx cards are not supported.

I don't know if I'd hold my breath for a DirectX 10 card in AGP.

Cheaper Directx 10 card are not expected out until the spring.

What is your current computer.

4. Jones

Jones

I agree with Triple6. While DX10 will be the new standard, it will be a LOOOONG time before DX9 totally goes away. Besides, there are a ton of awesome games out there that are DX9, and even the latest ones coming out in the next few months will still be DX9 compatible.

5. Stealthz

Stealthz Thread Starter

My current computer is custom. My current graphics card is Nvidia GeForce 3 64MB (verrrry old). After reading what you guys said, I guess I should just go ahead and upgrade now, then worry about a DirectX10 card later when the prices lower.

6. Jones

Jones

That's a really old card. What're the rest of your system specs? Is that an AGP card? If so, you couldn't even buy a DX10 card for your system. New cards will only be available in PCI-Express.

You should be able to find some good deals on decent AGP cards right now. They are being phased out with the widespread use of PCI-Express as the new standard for graphics cards.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    To be honest Vista will run on older cards too, just the manufacturers don't provide drivers and the performance isn't very good.

DX 9.0c cards still have a lot of life left in them and the performance from the top cards is exceptional, such as the Radeon x1800 and x1900, and the Geforce 7800 and 7900 cards.

8. Stealthz

Stealthz Thread Starter

My other system specs:

KV8 Pro Motherboard
    AMD Athlon 2800
    Nvidia GeForce 3 64MB
    Sound Blaster

I'd say I upgraded the motherboard around 1.5 years ago. As far as I know it only have regular PCI & AGP.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    How much RAM? What is, or will be, the main use of the computer?

10. Jones

Jones

What's your budget for your new video card? There are alot of really good video cards for between $100 and $200, which is a nice price to get a way better gaming platform. The best AGP video card you can buy is about $400 right now, but with that much money, you'd be better off to save a bit more and upgrade to a PCI-Express system.

11. Stealthz

Stealthz Thread Starter

1024MB RAM.

The primary use of the computer is gaming, and perhaps video editing. Currently the games I play now arn't too demanding, and I get by with my current graphics card with settings on low. I don't need anything insane. My budget would be $100 to $200.

12. brite750

brite750

6600GT, 6800GT maybe a 7600GT, take a look on newegg and pick your flavor and budget, DX10 is out at that price level and since you need AGP.

13. Jones

Jones

I've recommended it before, and I'l recommend it again:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150157

I have the same card, and it does the job very well. Doom 3 on high settings, StarWars Battlefront II on max, BF2 on medium-high, Call of Duty 2 on High. Very nice performance for the price.

14. brite750

brite750

agreed, XFX is not my favorite brand, I think it use to be Pine which was a very budget brand from tigerdirect, but they may be good quality now. Lots of good buzz about BFG now, but probably more $$$

15. Stealthz

Stealthz Thread Starter

Does the 6600GT, 6800GT maybe a 7600GT all support clone display? One thing I am wanting with this upgrade is the ability to hook my graphics card up to my VCR/TV. I'm not sure what specification I should be looking at.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/524826

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice