1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics Card doesn't detect second monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheBattyBrit, Oct 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheBattyBrit

TheBattyBrit Thread Starter

I recently got a VGA-HDMI Cable, so I could link my TV to my computer, but when I went to plug it in, my computer did not detect it. I then tried to force my computer to detect it, as many of the things I saw online recommended this, but this did not work either.
    Please help me!
    Thanks
    J
    Also, if its any help, my graphics card is AMD Radeon HD 6400M Series, and as this is a laptop, I cant really get a new graphics card.

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    YOu cannot convert VGA to HDMI without a actual signal converter. VGA is a analog signal where HDMi is aHIGH QUALITY DIGITAL signal.

3. TheBattyBrit

Thanks for replying :)
    What I've done know is "borrowed" my dads VGA-VGA cable, my computer now detects the second screen, but the screen itself says "No signal"

4. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    power off PC and monitor plug monitor to computer....can yousee the POST screen??

5. TheBattyBrit

Basically,
    I only have this laptop, for gaming and stuff, and it has a built in screen
    I've tried to restart my laptop with the new screen plugged in, or disconnected and it's not worked either time

6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    With laptops, you typically have to cycle through the video outputs. Typically FN + F5 keys (they are marked in blue).

As you are using VGA, it will need to be connected, and possibly powered on, before the PC is powered on.

And in regards to TV's, the resolution used can be an issue. As you mention VGA, I'm assuming the laptop AND the TV have VGA inputs. TV's that have a VGA or "PC" input often are very restrictive on the resolution(s) that can be used. Consult the TV User Manual to verify the supported resolutions. If you don't have the manual, start with a low resolution such as 640x480.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1111565

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice