1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics card doesn't play well with latest Windows update

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by skylights, Nov 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skylights

skylights Thread Starter

The image on my mom's computer display is suddenly stretched horizontally for no discernible reason, and the normal solutions don't help. I tried to change the resolution settings but none worked. I uninstalled the display driver and rebooted, but it was the same. I downloaded the display driver from AMD and reinstalled, no help. I tried to revert windows to a previous state but there was only one snapshot and it was too recent. I was thinking of reformatting but I don't know if that would help because the problem might be with the monitor or video display adapter. Any other ideas?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 10 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3839 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4200
    Hard Drives: C: 918 GB (202 GB Free); D: 12 GB (1 GB Free); K: 1863 GB (437 GB Free);
    Motherboard: FOXCONN, 2AB1
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Also, the display is a 24" Orion 720p LED TV.

2. Sponsor

3. Prrothead

Prrothead

I have the same issue, Started several days ago!!!! I have the same graphics card also!!!! Dell Inspirion 570

4. skylights

skylights Thread Starter

Hmm, the latest Windows 10 update might not be playing well with the ATI Radeon HD 4200. Seems like we might be out of luck unless Microsoft fixes the issue.

5. Prrothead

Prrothead

I believe so. I tried the restore also and was good until it updated again!!

6. skylights

skylights Thread Starter

Aha! I've changed the title to better reflect what the problem appears to be. Maybe someone will have a workaround...

7. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
    I would recommend going to mfg website and downloading the latest driver for your card. Then uninstall your existing driver and install the new one you downloaded. Let us know if this helps?

8. skylights

skylights Thread Starter

Tried it, didn't work.

9. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
    Seems like a lot of people are experiencing similar issues and it seems to be caused by the latest AMD driver. Have you recently updated that driver? Can you restore back from a restore point? Most of the fixes I am seeing are to remove the existing driver and download a previous version.

10. Prrothead

Prrothead

It happened after the latest microsoft update for for me !!!

11. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
    Yeah that seems to be the issue. Did you try my suggestions?

12. Prrothead

Prrothead

I have done several restores and it did not help. I did not update the driver an I just tried going to the AMD site and I could not find anything there that was helpful. I installed what I thought was the driver but all it did was download crap onto my computer.
    I do not see any previous versions. I have gone to device manager unistalled it, try updating on internet and computer. Says I have the best driver installed.

13. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
  14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1200126

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice