1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics card doesn't post any graphics to my monitor, computer boots up fine

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Atrayu, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Atrayu

Atrayu Thread Starter

Hey everyone, I'm in dire need of some help with my PC. The computer turns on fine, and boots up (can hear the windows start up tune) but I can't see anything on the monitor. Here's the details:

I was playing a computer game on friday, and during that it crashed. I have no idea if this is when things started or not, but I restarted and it was fine.

On sunday I had another crash, only the screen flickered once or twice and there were green pixel lines going from top to bottom of the monitor , about 2 inches apart in a perfect pattern. When I restarted, there were no graphics on the monitor. The light was flashing indicating it was on power saving mode.

I took the computer apart, unplugged everything, and put it all back together, and for whatever reason it worked fine for about 6 hours.

The next day I turned the computer on, and it loaded fine, but shortly after there was the return of the green pixel lines, with the added addition of the top left corner of the screen being filled with green pixelated triangles in a perfect pattern. These were flickering furiosly.

I tried restarting my computer, and again I got no graphics posted to the monitor. However the computer booted up fine, and I heard the start up tune, and 5 minutes later I shut it down by pressing the "Power Off" button on my keyboard.

I tried another monitor and again, got nothing. I then tried taking the computer apart and putting it back together again, only this time it didn't help.

I've taken my graphics card out, put it back in, used both the monitor cable ports, left the computer off all night without the power cable in, and I can't get anywhere.

I've taken my old card (GeForce 8800GTX) out, and borrowed my landlords 7800GTX, which is working fine at the moment. I would go and buy a new card, but I don't want to risk this happening again if I don't know why it's happening. (Fingers crossed I don't break my landlords graphics card by putting it in my pc)

I would like to know what's causing this, if it is my graphics card, or whether my motherboard will just start eating future graphics cards. A friend of mine had a scenario not long ago where his motherboard kept breaking his graphics cards some how. How would I know it would be safe to splash out on a new card?

My computer worked fine for 2+ years until now.

I'd also like to point out that the fans didn't go into faster mode at any point, they all remained pretty calm, so I don't think it was overheating.

My computer's spec is:
    GPU: GeForce 8800gtx
    DVD: Sony DVD-RW Q170A
    Networking: Nvidia nForce Networking Controller
    Processor: Intel(r) Core(tm)2 Quad CPU @2.66GHz
    Motherboard: nForce 680i SLI
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 1000 watt

Thank you everyone =)

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its usually just the graphics cards, they do fail especially if they overheat - then video card fan not speeding up might have been the problem - most are dynamic and should actually speed up under load. Depending on the manufacturer of your 8800GTX you might be able to get it replaced under warranty if they have a 3 year or greater warranty.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/843395

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice