Graphics Card Fan Adaptor

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jack-o-bytes

I have recently got hold of a graphics card for my freinds computer. It is a Gigabyte Nvidie 7300SE. It has a fan on it but doesnt have a plug for the fan any where. I presume that it was plugged into the motherboard. Is there such thing as a 4 Pin Molex to a 2 pin graphics fan adaptor. Or is there a way I can make one.

Thanks for the help
jack-o-bytes

You could plug the 2-pin to a 3-pin header, just match the first pins. (pins 1 and 2 have voltage, pin 3 is just for fan speed monitoring) You might need to be a bit brutal on the 2-pin connector, cut some plastic off from around the pins, but it will work in the end. Make sure the fan spins in the correct direction in the end (if the first pins are matched, it will)

jack-o-bytes

Wouldnt that meen though that the graphics fan will be spinning at the speed that the case fan should be spinning which may not be dependant on the temperature of the graphics card.

That can't be helped, really. If the card doesn't have a plug for the fan, the fan can't be controlled by anything else either, at least automatically. You can use a fan controller, but I don't thin it's worth the trouble and money.

How would you think the molex would control its speed according to temps? You were talking about a 4-pin molex to small 2-pin adpater earlier. :confused:

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
So are you saying you bought a brand new video card and it came with a fan but there's no place to connect the fan to the video card? That doesn't seem right. Or is this a used card that someone attached a fan too?

If the fan doesn't belong to the card then having it vary its speeds according to video card temp isn't going to be easy. You'll need to buy a really fancy fan controller with a temperature sensor or connect it to a motherboard fan header and use something like Speedfan to control its speed. Connecting it to a 4 pin Molex connector off the power supply won't give you any speed control. You can also get a fan with a thermal sensor and built in fan controller.

FYI, most Geforce 7300's do not need a fan at all, nor come with one.

jack-o-bytes

My freind took it out of his computer due to an upgrade and then gave it to me. I didnt need it so I decid to give it to my freind who isnt that bothered about mega graphics but just wants better than motherboard graphics. I think what may have happened is the 2 pin plug was plugged into the motherboard of the computer it was taken out of. I have decided I would prefer it to be running at 100% all the time so I can be sure that it is not going to over heat. Should I just cut a 4 pin molex cable and join it to the graphics card fan?

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Personally I'd reattach it the motherboard, the two pin cable as long as it will reach the motherboard can easily be attached to the 3 pin motherboard headers by trimming the connector a bit. Its neater and easier that hacking up a power supply cable.

jack-o-bytes

Yeah I suppose. But is there a chance of the card over heating though as it is not being controlled by the correct thing.

The fan will run at full speed without being controlled, and the card probably doesn't even need a fan, so it will certainly not overheat.

Well, the PSU's here where I live do have 2 connectors special for GPU's
Posted via Mobile Device

jack-o-bytes

so if I put it onto a 3 pin are two of them just the 12v and 0v pins and the other pin is a controller? So if I put it onto the 12v and 0v it will run at full speed all the time?

The third pin is NOT a controller. The fourth pin would be that. The third is for fan speed monitoring. It will run at full speed, as mentioned earlier, yes.

jack-o-bytes

Thanks I have got the fan working. Also the card is a Gigabyte 7300Se and I cant find the driver for it can I use the standard Nvidia Driver for it?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online