1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics Card fan problem (PNY XLR8 GTX 460 OC)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AJR3, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJR3

AJR3 Thread Starter

I just got a PNY XLR8 GTX 460 (Overclocked) card for Christmas. I installed it fine (with a new OCZ Fata1ity 550watt power supply), and was testing out the graphics on it by playing a high res game. It performed beautifully for several hours before the card started overheating. After looking at it a few times, I found that this was due to the fan not working properly (as in going very slowly). I ran MSI Afterburner to monitor the fan speeds, and it shows that the card starts at around 1600rpm (set at about 40% fan speed), as the card heats up, the fan starts spinning slower and slower until it reaches about 100rpm even though the card appears to be reporting 70% fan speed. The card proceeds to heat up fairly quickly and has reached 90°C when I shutdown the system to avoid damage.

Is this something that might be fixed by tweaking the card's BIOS, or is there likely a problem with the card in which case I should get it replaced?

Thanks,
    ~Alex

2. D-Berd

D-Berd

try this and report back the temps at idle. http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1907/TechPowerUp_GPU-Z_v0.4.9.htmlIf you can, post a screen shot. Make sure screenshot the sensor page.

Also this
    Download Speedfan http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php (The download link is somewhere in the center of the page) and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
    The information I want you to post is the stuff that is presented on the main screen. It will show temperatures and voltage readings.
    To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot

To do a screenshot click on the "Print Screen" or the "Prt scr" button on your keyboard.
    * It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
    * Now go to Start and then to All Programs
    * Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
    * In the Empty White Area press and hold the CTRL key and then press the V key
    * Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
    * Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
    * Attach it to your next reply

3. AJR3

AJR3 Thread Starter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oddly enough the screenshots came out a little blurry...sorry about that. The first is after 50 mins or so of the computer being on and idle, and was taken at a point where the fan actually stopped completely for about half a second (one reporting the speed at 0rpm and the other at 30rpm). The second screenshot was taken when I was actually using the computer after about 5 mins or so (you can see the card heated up really fast).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970791

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice