1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics Card Fan Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bmbishop, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bmbishop

bmbishop Thread Starter

First off, I am not particularly computer savvy, and I appreciate any help you guys can offer.

When playing any 3D games on my computer, my graphics card will get ridiculously hot. I downloaded speedfan, and it says my GPU gets to about 120C; That is, right before it crashes.

I can usually play the games about 10 mins to an hour before it freezes, depending on how recently I have been playing before.

When the games freeze, the screen will freeze, I cannot move the mouse, and the audio will loop the last half second of sound over and over until I force shut down the computer and start over.

I noticed that the usual whirring on my computer was a little off, so I opened the case and looked at the GPU while a game was running. Sure enough the fan spends most of the time sitting still. It will sit, spin for less than a second, then sit again sporadically.

I took the card out, dissembled it the best I could, and cleaned a considerable amount of dust from off the wings of the fan itself with a Q-tip. There was no noticeable improvement, and speedfan still reads the same temperatures.

I have also tried about 5 different graphics drivers, again with no noticeable results.

It may also be worth noting that the driver I was using for a long time was said later to have had a fan speed error. Nvidia even had a warning on their drivers list for anyone using that driver to roll back.

My GPU is a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GS (copied from dxdiag).

Thank you in advance for any help.

2. IT-Support

IT-Support

That series is almost 5 years old, if that particular card is that old then it might be dying. If its new then its a faulty Graphics card in my opinion. If driver updates and cleaning it didn't cure it the only other thing you can do is add more case fans and position it so that it blows on the graphics card. But for the hastle involved with that it might be worth changing it for a new one.

3. lifeessence

lifeessence

I agree with IT-Support, other than that you could dowload something like RivaTuner and force your fan to run at 100% to see what it does then.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can get a video cad in the same performance area for about $18.99 from www.newegg.com I would not recommend getting a new fan as eh card could have permanent damage from the fan failure. Also the 7300GS is not a good gaming card.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919272

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice