1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics card fried itself on Dell laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gabeneo, Oct 22, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. gabeneo

gabeneo Thread Starter

I have a Dell i7 laptop that supposedly has a soldered in graphics card. Just out of the blue the card just went AWOL ballistic blowout. I took it into a repair store and they told me that they cannot change the graphics card since it is soldered onto the MBoard... this was a fairly expensive computer and ideally it would be great to just be able to upgrade and change the card. What do I need to do to keep and hopefully possibly repair this computer?

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

You'll need a mobo replacement. Then factor in the cost of replacing mobo (part/labor) vs buying new laptop.

By any chance is it still under warranty?

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Tell us the Service Tag, should be on a label underneath or could be in the Bios, then we can check if the graphics are really soldered or not.

4. gabeneo

gabeneo Thread Starter

Definitely past warranty... I bought it on eBay years ago.. yet it's been working great all along... the video card just suddenly decided to poop the bed. Just to clarify what is a mobo replacement exactly. A mobile extension to the MB?

5. gabeneo

gabeneo Thread Starter

Thanks for your response.... I do know it is soldered according to my personal tech dude and also backtracking... I don't have the specs infront of my but will later today. I was told to get a mobo replacement see the other response. If you can elaborate on what that entails please let me know... and thanks in advance...

Gabe

6. lynx1021

lynx1021

That happened to a friend that had a HP desktop with onboard video. I was showing 90C before it went out. I thought the program I was reading the temperature with was wrong, LOL. I figured out HP didn't put a big enough heat sink on the chip when they made it. Any way I was able to put in an add-on video card to get him going again.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

With a laptop, you must get the exact replacement board from dell. This is NOT going to be cheap AND you have to add in the cost of labor.
    You can most likely get a refurbished dell for less than the cost of repairing your current system.

8. lynx1021

lynx1021

Like crjdriver said it is very labor intensive to even change the motherboard out on a laptop. The only thing I do on a laptop is reload the OS, change the hard drive or add memory and on some models that is a pain!

9. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You might find a used motherboard on Ebay but as already said it has the be an exact match for the original.

It's possible to fit a new board yourself but it can be a tricky job, usually older laptops are easier to work on though.

When we know the model you have I will try to find a YouTube video and/or Service Manual, Dell are one of the few makers who have downloadable SM's on their website.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice