1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

graphics card\gaming problem

Discussion in 'Games' started by tom1111, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tom1111

tom1111 Thread Starter

hey,

i just recently built a new computer. Almost immediately after i got my machine up and running, i started having blue screen errors when playing video intensive games, such as ut2004. These errors never occurred anywhere else, and the error only occurred on average, once in five hours of play. This didn't really irk me, because it crashed very infrequently. The crash screen was blue, and had writing on it, but the writing was unreadable. I thought i recognized one or two words, but on the most part it looked as if it was written in spanish.

When i installed warcraft 3, i started getting crash errors about once in every 20 minutes of play. The same blue screen error appeared. Since then, i have tried:

Installing old versions of drivers
    Installing different versions of drivers (omega)
    Formatting the hard drive, and installing the up to date version of drivers.
    Re-Seating the video card
    changing monitor input from DVI to Analog. This caused the blue screen to be blank, instead of having strange writing.
    Installing ATI Utility. This allowed me to make a crash log of one of the times the video card crashed.
    Updating Chipset Drivers
    Windows Updates, Service pack 2, Windows approved ATI Drivers.
    Memtest 86, no erroneous memory
    Hard drive diagnostic, no hard drive problems.
    Installing all of the updates and fixes for the games.

none of this has worked. Anyone have ANY idea what might be wrong?

here's my system specs:

AMD Athlon64 3500+ socket 939
    Gigabyte K8NSNXP-939 MoBo
    ATI 9800 Pro 256 Meg Video Card
    WD Raptor 37.4 Gig 10000 RPM Hard Drive
    1 Gig Corsair dual channel Ram

any help is appreciated.

2. Tranquility

Tranquility

Could be the power supply. If it's lower than 400W that may be where the problem is. That's a pretty power-hungry setup.

3. tom1111

tom1111 Thread Starter

problem solved. i think.

i looked on blizzards website, they recommended 3.10 drivers (i had only gone back to like, 4.2, i didnt know how far back i needed to go). havent had any problems in 3 hours of playing.

4. Tranquility

Tranquility

That's weird though because I have the 4.8 Catalyst drivers and I play both UT2k4 and Warcraft 3 with the 4.8s and no problems at all. All the newer Cats though keep crashing Call of Duty for me.

5. tom1111

tom1111 Thread Starter

its just wierd like that. i guess its because of the different graphics cards. shrug

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270480

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice