1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics Card Going?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by EasternBoarder, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EasternBoarder

EasternBoarder Thread Starter

System Specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo e6400
    EVGA 680i mobo
    EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS Superclocked
    2x OCZ 2MB DDR2
    OCZ Gamexstream 700W
    WD Raptor 150GB

Symptoms:

Initially games were crashing after use for a while. Sometimes games would crash without warning, other times they would lag, and sometimes there were weird skin and materials issues where skins would show up the wrong place (like faces appearing on walls... kinda creepy).

Now my computer won't even start. When the windows loading screen comes up there are weird pixelated dots running down the screen. When it finishes loading it goes to a weird screen with thing black and white lines going across the screen, with smaller pink and green pixelations patterned all throughout. The mouse also shows up in the center, but there are weird pixelations surrounding it.

So I'm pretty positive it's something wrong with the graphics card, considering it's all the typical symptoms. My computer is also rediculously dusty though. I haven't cleaned it for far too long. I did just take the graphics card out and clean it in a last attempt, but it didn't make a difference.

Is there any chance dust elsewhere in the system could be causing this issue? Either way I'm planning on taking everything apart over winter break, cleaning it, and putting it back together. I'm just wondering if something else could be wrong, or if I should go ahead and buy a new graphics card right now?

Thanks for any help,
    EB

2. flyer0101

flyer0101

First Name:
    Dylan
    Im not experienced but if your motherboard has built in graphics you should remove your graphics card and plug your monitor into the motherboards built in graphics card. you wont be able to play games but if the loading screen appears normal then it is your graphics card.

3. EasternBoarder

I looked into that but it doesn't appear to have an internal GPU. I also took the graphics card out of one of my parents old computers but it was too old.

I discovered an interesting fix that many people have been using that involves baking the Graphics Card to re-solder any connections that tend to become damaged over time. I've taken the heatsink and fan off the card, and just need to clean off the thermal paste and then I'll be throwing it in the oven later. Once the thermal paste arrives that I just ordered, I'll put it all together and post how it goes.

Any other suggestions are still welcomed though!

4. Jordster

Jordster

5. EasternBoarder

Yeah reading through that really makes me think I'm suffering from RAM Artifacts. I'm a little disconcerted now because from what I read there, it could just be my regular RAM that's causing the issue. I probably should have tested this before taking my card apart...

Is it common for bad RAM (on the motherboard not video RAM) to have such effects on the graphics? Either way it sounds like baking it probably won't help if it has anything to do with RAM, but since I've already gone this far I'll follow through with it, and if it doesn't fix it I'll check my RAM modules next, and then if it comes down to it I'll just get a new GPU.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969708

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice