Graphics card help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tobzz

Hi
I just bought a new graphics card, the Gigabyte Radeon R9 380X and Im just wondering about a few things, firstly does my dvi cord need to be connected to the card instead of the motherboard, do i need to use pci cords (i dont have any), is there a way I can see that it is all working fine and the card blocked the port that my EDUP wireless LAN card was in so is there a way to attach it some other way? Sorry there are so many questions, any help for any of them will be very much appreciated :)
Cheers

Xsage

Dave
Yes DVI needs to be connected to the GPU for best performance.

Yes you need PCI power cords to power the card

Yes there is but you will need to buy a PCI extender and find somewhere else to mount the card.

Hope this helps

crjdriver

If your pw supply does not have the necessary pw connectors, you need to purchase a new, quality pw supply.
If the video card is blocking a slot for the wireless card, it would appear you have a SFF type system. These are not intended for any type of gaming or other stressful endeavor.

It would help if you posted ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact motherboard, exact pw supply, exact cpu, etc, etc. Do not post "500W" pw supply; post the exact brand and model# Do that for all of your parts. If this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, post the exact brand and model# If you have a service tag# post that as well.

Tobzz

If your pw supply does not have the necessary pw connectors, you need to purchase a new, quality pw supply.
If the video card is blocking a slot for the wireless card, it would appear you have a SFF type system. These are not intended for any type of gaming or other stressful endeavor.

It would help if you posted ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact motherboard, exact pw supply, exact cpu, etc, etc. Do not post "500W" pw supply; post the exact brand and model# Do that for all of your parts. If this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, post the exact brand and model# If you have a service tag# post that as well.
Okay lets see, my motherboard is an Asus M5A 78L-m usb3, the chasis is a Gigabyte GZ-M2. Btw at the moment when I plug the dvi cord into the card theres no signal to my screen, im guessing this is because of the pci cords not being there.
Cheers

crjdriver

That is a micro board and a mini tower. Generally you want a standard type case if you intend on installing a gaming type video card. One reason is size and another is cooling. Small cases just do not have the airflow for a gaming system. If you really really have to have a gaming card, I would be sure to install the two case fans which are optional on your case. The spec sheet shows two 90mm case fans as being optional.

So to make this work, you need at the very least a new quality pw supply and 2 case fans. Do not purchase a cheap pw supply; that is just asking for a problem.

Tobzz

Okay, interesting, so at the moment the computer has 3 fans + 2 on the card, what is the pw supply? Is it the PCI cord? The guy I bought the computer of said it wold work ok for gaming if I got a graphics card, I mean I dont want to run anything to crazy just normal games.
Cheers :)

Tobzz

Oh okay, is that where the pci cord goes from the graphics card? So you reacon I need a new pw supply, what would you suggest?

crjdriver

Good ie recommended brands; corsair [AX, HX or RM models ONLY] Seasonic, FSP [only units with the 5yr warranty] or Antec [HCG models ONLY]
Post a link to whatever pw supply you intend on purchasing.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online