Graphics Card Help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JohnLarkin6

Hi. I'm more of a software person than hardware, and was wondering if you all could help me pick out a new video card. I got a job a while ago, and my hard earned cash is yelling "Spend me!"

Basically I'm willing to go up to around $220. The computer that I have now can be found here: http://www.powerspec.com/systems/archives/system_archive.phtml

Also, I upgraded a while back to 512 ram so that I could play games with better performance. I did the same with my video card, and I'm now using an NVidia Geforce FX5200 found here:
http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=2&l2=7&l3=9&model=272&modelmenu=1

Also, my motherboard only has a 4x AGP slot, which will probably be the bottleneck to the whole situation. Still, can someone point me to a nice video card under $220 (all costs included) that will get me better performance/quality?

-Thanks in advance :)

Good Morning John, your money would be better advised to complete what it is obviously trying to say, "spend me...on a new system".
To remain competitive this is the only way.
Cheers, qldit.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Your link just goes to a site with a list of systems, which system do you have?

Many, most actually, new video cards wil be limited by your CPU. That said the FX5200 is near the bottom of the performance scale. Anything new will outperform it.

JohnLarkin6

Whoops, sorry. I have an 8706.

qldit: Wow, really? Maybe I should just wait to buy a laptop for college or build a beast of a desktop. Other than that, are there cheaper solutions to make this one any better?

dustyjay

Jay
I agree that system is very limited, you would be better off saving a little more and getting something better. You board supposts 2X/4X AGP and you would want 8X for a better Video card in the AGP Form. Or a PCIE Video card. Either of which will require a new mother board. So while you are at it you may as well go the whole 9 yards and build a new system.

dustyjay

Jay
Cheaper solutions to a better update for your existing system would be more ram, the fastest processor the board will support, and the fastest 4X AGP card that you can get your hands on. Oh and maybe a larger HDD.

JohnLarkin6 said:
Whoops, sorry. I have an 8706.

qldit: Wow, really? Maybe I should just wait to buy a laptop for college or build a beast of a desktop. Other than that, are there cheaper solutions to make this one any better?[/QUOTE

G'day John, you could try a gig of decent memory, partitioning your hard drive, and working on the system cooling. These small factors usually provide good boost.
But as you say you are somwhat "hobbled" getting any real bang for your buck.
Dusty's suggestion is valid.
Cheers, qldit.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online