1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics card help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Smartkidz, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Smartkidz

Smartkidz Thread Starter

I'm not very good when it comes to the insides of computers but i was gonna get a graphics card with PCI express. And my friend told me i need to make sure my comp. supports it. My questions are exactly about that.

Is there a way to check if my comp. supports Pci express or Pci? And is there a program or do i have to open my comp.?

Edit:My comp. came with a nvidia Geforce 2 Mx/Mx 400 if that helps. Its also a dell dimension 8200(old model not new ones)

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

No, looks like that came with a 4X AGP card. You will have to get one that fits that same slot. Be careful what you get though, most power supplies of that vintage won't support a much bigger video card.

3. Smartkidz

Smartkidz Thread Starter

Thanks and keep suggestions coming.

4. DeLorean

DeLorean

All motherboards have PCI nowadays, but on the subject of PCI-E that is the replacement for AGP, the current Graphics card standard. If you currently have a Geforce 2 then your computer is definitely AGP and not PCI-E so you can rule out buying a PCI-E card unless you want to buy a new motherboard (and cpu and ram probably.)

So unless you want to fork out serious cash you're best bet is an AGP card.

Unless your motherboard was made when Clinton was President there's a very likely chance you have AGP 8x and that isn't a great deal slower than PCI-E 16x (the current maximum in speed)

Almost ALL cards currently available have PCI-E or AGP 8x versions, so you can still get an amazing card for your system.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536408

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice